PDA

View Full Version : My first pens!

Bob Hallowell
09-11-2006, 8:42 AM
My wife and I are trying to start a little pen busniess in the local area. I have one place the want to sell the on consignment. I just have two problems Everytime I show someone the pens I have made I get an order. Good problem to have. I'm just going to be busier than I had planed! Second- My flat tools are being used as assembly benches and I really like my flat tools!

Thanks Marc (Woodmangler) For the wood band Idea.

Bob

Bob Hallowell
09-11-2006, 8:43 AM
I forgot the pic!

Jim Dunn
09-11-2006, 9:22 AM
They are all nice. But I like the 2nd from the left the best as it looks like I could use it everyday.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-11-2006, 9:48 AM
Good luck, and they look good, that one on the right, the double ender, where did you get the kit?

I have a brother, a sister and a SIL who are teachers......... :D

Cheers!

Bob Hallowell
09-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Stu,
I got all my kits from www.pennstateind.com (http://www.pennstateind.com)

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
09-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Bob you did a nice job on the pens. Sounds great on the pen orders. That is a nice problem to have. I paid for my second lathe with pen and bowl money. Keep'em coming.

George Summers
09-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Bob -

what did you use for the 'red' wood on the teachers pen? I have been using Padauk and don't really like it.

George

Bob Hallowell
09-11-2006, 1:01 PM
I used Paduak also, I just ordered some bloodwood though.

Bob

Frank Kobilsek
09-11-2006, 1:08 PM
Bob,
You'll like the bloodwood better. I gave up on padauk becuase when you sand it stained other lighter woods in the assembly.

Good work and good luck with business. Raise your prices a little if you are that busy. I never had luck selling pens at shows or even consignment but they do sell out of my pocket, especially around the holidays. I have one regular pens customer, a lawyer, Titanium Gold , Baron rollerballs, walnut, CA finish. 10 at a time, it what he likes.

Frank

John Hart
09-11-2006, 7:16 PM
Nice collection of pieces Bob! So....since you have such a variety and people are placing orders....What style do you get the most orders for?

Kevin Blunt
09-11-2006, 7:57 PM
Nice work! I will get around to trying my hand at this pen thing as well. If my first attempts turn out like yours I will be real happy.

Corey Hallagan
09-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Very cool bob and nice job. Great when you can sellem huh!

corey

Gary DeWitt
09-12-2006, 2:13 AM
Nice variety, good luck on your new endeavor.
Give it about a year, and if all you've done in that time is turn, you might want to think about selling off your rusting flat work tools to get another lathe. I just sold my planer and will be selling off all the rest except of course the BS and TS. Should have the bigger lathe for Christmas!

Ernie Nyvall
09-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Nice pens Bob. Congrats on the orders.