PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
09-11-2006, 3:37 AM
Good Morning,

I'm about to leave work for the night and wanted to get this out as I hope to be sleeping during the time I would normally be posting the Weekend Accomplishsments thread.

This weekend I finished up 3 display cabinets to where all I need to do now is just make the sliding doors for the back of each cabinet and then they will be ready for delivery. Lucky for me, the owner will be sanding, staining, and topcoating the cabinets. These cabinets are for the 2nd Chance Youth Ranch where troubled kids are staying during a recovery of a bad home or just don't have any parents or family at all. The materials were donated, so I had to make cabinets out of pine 2 by 4's and some of the worse looking 3/8" plywood that I belive I've ever seen. Ever heard of making a purse out of a sow's ear? Well, that's exactly what I had to do here. But I feel that my donated labor was well worth this very worthy cause.

Church on Sunday morning, cut and hauled firewood on Saturday morning. Gotta love it when firewood to heat the home is free for the taking. I'm not cutting down any healthy trees, but getting ones that have been taken down due to development in the surrounding area.

Had to work tonight at "work" and I'm about to head out and get some sleep before having to come back in to work.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Mike Cutler
09-11-2006, 5:37 AM
Made good progress on the blanket chest for LOML. Finally got it to where it looks like a chest, and not a random assortment of boards laying around the shop. Got sick as a dog with a stomach bug, or food poisioning, not sure which. I feel much better now.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Guy Germaine
09-11-2006, 7:13 AM
Got the new dog cart put together yesterday and got the first coat of finish on it. I don't have pictures of mine yet, but it will be similar to this, only made of cherry, tiger maple, and mahogany.
http://www.fototime.com/BFB8BDF89D16134/standard.jpg

Bob Childress
09-11-2006, 8:08 AM
Purchased and installed all new hardware on the kitchen cabinets. (Do you know what knobs and handles cost?? When you need 33 knobs and 11 handles! :eek: )

Sunday, kind of took it easy. Mowed the lawn and designed new lighting scheme for the kitchen. Now to buy the lights and get them installed.

Have a great week.:)

Matt Meiser
09-11-2006, 8:19 AM
Watched my brother swim/bike/run a sprint triathalon Saturday morning and did family stuff the rest of the day. Sunday we went to a huge car show at the GM Powertrain plant in Toledo. On the way home picked up some landscape blocks to build a small (16" high by 5' long) retaining wall to hide the sump pump drain on my shop and installed them. And that's about it. This week I'm going to start a new WW project, the first since spring.

Al Willits
09-11-2006, 9:36 AM
Had a pretty good weekend, Sat went to Rocklers to pick up a cabinet how to book, and seen a pile of the Jet clamps on sale, which when I called they said they didn't know anything about or have...so I bought a set of the clamps they didn't have... :D

Worked in the garage mounting another parts cabinet to the wall,
and built a rack for the new clamps, then stained the miter saw cabinet.

Sunday I added a coat of poly and considering it was about 55 degree's and raining, I got to watch paint..er..poly dry all day, gave me time to rehash the mistakes I made on the cabinet, and add to the learning curve.

Finally threw away the last of the drag racing stuff, some manuals, parts books, trophy's and a ton of notes I'd taken during the years, hated to see it all go, but I still have a few VHS tapes and maybe that's enough.

Good part is I now have room in my file cabinet for Wood Working books....:)

Al

Matt Wachter
09-11-2006, 9:47 AM
Mine were finished last week, but they were delivered this weekend. I posted it earlier last week, but I thought I should share them again.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42488
(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=46370&d=1157640078)Oh, and the orange wood turned out to be padouk.

Art Mulder
09-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Hmmm, what *did* I do this weekend?

Well, on Saturday we dragged the kids off to a harvest parade in a small town nearby... I'm curious, do people throw out candy at parades all over the place nowadays? They didn't when I was a kid, but in the towns near here that seems to be the standard. At least every other float/group is tossing out candy to the kids in the crowd.

Then it was off to the thrift store to try and find some hockey gear for the boys. We've signed up the two oldest (7 + 9) with a homeschoolers hockey league, new thing for them, and they're very excited.

And of course church on Sunday - new start of the sunday school year. I'm teaching 3 yr olds this year, which is the class that my youngest will be in. So far I've taught gr2 and gr1 kids, and this will be a first with the younger set. Play-Do and Flannelgraphs, here I come! (my turn doesn't start 'til October, so I've got plenty of time to make myself nervous...:rolleyes:)

But in terms of woodworking I had a good weekend also.
I finished up four cutting boards...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42671

and I also knocked together a wooden low-rider mobile tool base for my bandsaw, like these plans:http://www.lautard.com/casters.html
(SCROLL HALF-WAY DOWN) We'll see how well it holds up to use.

I've been trying to get around to rearranging my shop a bit, so I could do better dust collection, have a bit more room, and better organized storage. This is the first step, getting that bandsaw moved!

Have a great week, SMC!

Larry Fox
09-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Sprayed 5 coats of finish on 14 of 35 doors / end panels for my kitchen project - 21 left. That took most of the weekend. This project is never going to be done. :(

Don Baer
09-11-2006, 11:08 AM
worked on drawer, got most of em glued up and assembled.3 left to do which I'll finish this week. Did some turning. Watched races and went to church, spoiled my grandaughter..:D Talked to Andy Hoyt of the phone.

Mike Weaver
09-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Our Pack had a GREAT weekend at the Castle at BSA Camp Tuckahoe:
http://www.yaac-bsa.org/tuckahoe/camp%20tour/castle.htm

The kids made knight helmets:
http://www.clevelandart.org/Kids/art/haveago/armor.html

And then they jousted targets (paper plates w/ center cut out hung from a rope) with 6 ft. 3/4" PVC conduit lances while wearing the helmets.

Then, there was a dragon chase the kids (capture the flag on the top deck) without the flag & adult 'dragons').

Toss in an hour chasing each other on the large Pirate Ship at Tuckahoe, and they were starting to Tuck-er out. :D

It was fun and, in spite of a rainshower AFTER we had prepped the campfire, we prevailed and had S'mores after the campfire program Sat night.

Wasn't in the shop at all, but it was certainly a rewarding weekend!

I hope everyone else's weekend was as great as mine was.
-Mike

Andy Hoyt
09-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Spoke with Don Baer on the phone:D

Mike Leigh
09-11-2006, 1:17 PM
Didn't do to much, worked on my son's wallet box, had better luck with the top mating with the bottom than with previous boxes. Surprisely, the hardwood strip I put in the middle of two birch pieces stained well with the dark walnut, and the walnut stained dowels slid right in (no tear-out at all), now all I have to do is poly everything, and hopefully get my son to take some digital pics. of it.

Spent most of Sunday cooking pork and kraut in crockpot, AND some extreme drooling over the two new Lee Valley catalogs....dang! Someone want to lend me a zillion bucks? Those cat's have everthing in them! Was going to go to Rocklers, but found whole bunch of shiny toys in LV.

John D Watson
09-11-2006, 2:07 PM
Needed a dish holder for the newest addition to the family, and decided to try my hand at hand cut dovetails at the same time. Didn't turn out too bad considering its my first attemt in 24 years. The wood made it a little tough as you could snap the 1" board with your bare hands. The age hides the cracks well

Mario Lucchesi
09-11-2006, 2:09 PM
Went to the Wood Expo at LL Johnson in Charlotte Mi. , saw a few demos and had my son turn a pen, he loved it and wants to buy a lathe,NOW. looked at all the new tools I can't afford and only spent $1.00 for some dowles. I just gave to a local college for my oldest son so I am broke. they did let me keep the pen I used to sign the check. It is the most expensive pen I have ever had.

No time in the shop, maybe tonight.

Fred Voorhees
09-11-2006, 5:43 PM
Friday found me sealing the considerable driveway here at home. It was the first coat and it really gobbled up the stuff - thirteen five gallon cans. Saturday found myself and another racing buddy heading out early for a track out in central Pennsy for an annual "biggie" event. The early arrival was needed since this one is a popular event and we needed to get there to insure seating for the night. Sunday was a fairly lazy day, but I did begin to pack for our upcoming and annual racing trip to Syracuse,NY. Pulled out the camper today (Mon) after work (yeah, first day back to work after the carpal tunnel surgery recovery) and shot the thing with the pressure washer to knock off the loose dirt and the packing will start in earnest tonight with stuff that is germaine to the trip and not necessary for daily living.

Jim Becker
09-11-2006, 5:47 PM
I had a "most excellent" 'Creeker visit on Sunday that I will report on in detail (with pictures) later in the week in the OT Forum. I also saw some very interesting examples of Neander woodworking that involved very large sliding dovetails...which unfortuantely I could not take pictures of due to prohibitions on photography at the location. I will try to supply drawings to compensate. Stay tuned...

Tyler Howell
09-11-2006, 6:38 PM
More house hunting this weekend, found something I really like.
Bank said yes. Waiting on reply from my lawyer and consultant.
Weather was perfect up there while rainy and overcast in the cities.
Here's a little peek!

Dennis Peacock
09-11-2006, 7:59 PM
Bank said yes. Waiting on reply from my lawyer and consultant.
Weather was perfect up there while rainy and overcast in the cities.
Here's a little peek!

Glad to see you have your priorities all straightened out now Tyler. :p :D

Art Mulder
09-11-2006, 8:28 PM

Hmm, heated even (I see the smokestack.) So you've got room for a shop on the left. Room for a boat in the middle, and room for a car squeezed in on the right, with the bikes, lawnmower, and rakes. What more could you want!?

JayStPeter
09-11-2006, 11:14 PM
I started on my new workbench base this weekend (see below). I also installed a new backup sump pump, hung out with the kids, and cut the lawn. A busy weekend, but at least some shop time :D .

Jay

Chip Olson
09-12-2006, 6:01 PM
Picked up a ton (well, 25 bd ft) of cherry at Rockler for the cabinet door frames. I'm not to the point of needing it yet, but they were having a nice sale on the stuff. Also got a Jet parallel clamp set that was also on sale, at close to 50% off. Forgot to get those little disposable glue brushes.

The brushes would have come in really handy later when I finished assembling the drawers. Got too much glue in places and had lots of squeezeout, which I later had to clean up. Now I'm working on filling the (minor) gaps in my dovetails and various bits of sanding. Next it's out with the router to round off the top edges.

CNC Darren
09-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Hi all, First post to the group. Heres what I got done this weekend, a good start on the small curio case in the latest WOOD mag. Belive it or not all the wood i've used for it so far is reclaimed from one skid that a local place gives away all the time. This one happened to be mahogany, never new they used that for skids! Anyway here is a few pics.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g255/cncdarren/Picture043-1.jpghttp://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g255/cncdarren/Picture041.jpg

Darren

Kelly C. Hanna
09-13-2006, 1:01 AM
I got my new sign started and got all the way into the poly'ing process. I am on coat number 4 right now...goal is 8-9. Using straight Spar Urethane Poly since it'll be outdoors 24-7.

Rick de Roque
09-13-2006, 1:53 AM
Made 5 cuttting boards with my number 3 daughter this weekend. She wanted to make them for her friends for christmas. Don't get to see her much since she got married so it was fun to spend the weekend with her. Sorry, no pics.

Rick

Jim Dunn
09-13-2006, 8:26 AM
Fished all weekend. Had two four+ pounders and a whole bunch of other keepers.

Kent Cartwright
09-13-2006, 8:37 AM
Did Boy Scout things Saturday morning and early afternoon. Got some shop time in during the PM on Saturday. I may actually finish the fish tank stand I started a few months ago!! Sunday was family time, honey-do's and football!!