PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads?

Chuck Wintle
10-09-2003, 6:07 PM
Which are better...organic or semi-metallic brake pads?

Dar Lounsbury
10-09-2003, 8:03 PM
Semi-metallic brake pads cost more, work better, last longer, cause more wear to rotors and can make noise. Heavy car, SUV or pickup, then these are really the only way to go. IMHO. This is all I will use.

Happy motoring.

Brad Schafer
10-09-2003, 8:18 PM
metallic. others are soft and die inside of 40k miles (or less if you brake hard). rotor life is a red herring if you turn every time you change pads ... by the time you go thru a couple sets of softies, your rotors are shot anyway.

IMHO, YMMV, etc., ad infinitum, ad nauseam,

b

Ron Meadows
10-09-2003, 9:10 PM
I use to be in the camp of the previous responders, but that was before I tried Ceramic brake pads. Stop as well and last just as long as semimetallic pads with minimal rotor damage. Biggest difference is there is hardly no brake dust do deal with.

Try some, you'll like 'em

Ron

Tom Sweeney
10-10-2003, 11:36 AM
I agree with Ron! :D
Though I've never used them myself - I used to be a mechanic(many moons ago -actually before ceranic pads came out) & a friend of mine was a distributer for ceramic pads - Definately worth a look.
If not go with metallic.

David LaRue
10-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Which are better...organic or semi-metallic brake pads?

It all depends.... Not knowing what application this is for, but I can offer the perspective of a former field rep for a major automotive manufacturer:

* Depending on the vehicle, a OEM pad may be best (but more $$). :eek: For instance brake pull, fading, grabbing, etc. are often will be effected by the braking material (assuming everything else is working properly), and the manufacturer may have a special pad for the vehicle.

* Certain vehicles have special brake pads (SUVs, Large Pickups (GM and Ford come to mind), Sports type cars): some even have Kevlar, and a rubber compound for cold braking effectiveness

* OEM typically offer several grades of replacement pads. Premium, and price point shoes.

Personally, I would replace mine with OEMs. just my .02 :)

Dave

Chuck Wintle
10-10-2003, 1:16 PM
[QUOTE=David LaRue]It all depends.... Not knowing what application this is for, but I can offer the perspective of a former field rep for a major automotive manufacturer:

I went with some jobber semi-metallic pads and put them on myself. Since the discs exhibited no signs of warping etc i did not turn the discs. Will see how they last over the winter.

Joe Suelter
10-10-2003, 7:22 PM
If your vehicle calls for semi-metallic that is all you can put back on it. (not organic). Check with your dealer/partsman to find out what your vehicle requires. Putting the wrong pads on could spell disaster, pads will get too hot, may cause rotor warpage ($$$$$), etc... Everyone thinks that the metallic pads squeal, but that just isn't always the case. The pad is squealing, but it is due to movement, not surface to surface contact. I'm no expert by any means, but I've sold automobile parts for the past 12 years, and have sat through a Bendix brake class on this very subject. Good luck with whatever you choose.
By the way, the posts earlier about ceramic pads is right on the money, an excellent choice for heavy duty applications..also as mentioned, virtually no brake dust! But they do come at a premium price.