PDA

View Full Version : Viking Bed

Vaughn McMillan
09-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Sorry, but I feel compelled to remove the text and pics in this post. I cannot publicly explain my reasons for doing so, but if you would like more information about the project or the reasons why it was removed, I can be contacted at SMC -at- tg3k.com.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Well done Vaughn! Looks like a lot of work on your part!

Don Baer
09-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Vaughn,
I know thta this has been a challengeing project. Ya done good.

Gary Herrmann
09-11-2006, 12:59 AM
I like it! Good job, Vaughn.

I better not show it to my little barbarian.

Randal Stevenson
09-11-2006, 10:48 AM
I am suprised, I would have thought the vikings used a rope bed. Had to laugh when I saw the title though, made me think of a failed project being sent out on the water with a viking funeral (burning).

Vaughn McMillan
09-11-2006, 2:24 PM
I am suprised, I would have thought the vikings used a rope bed. Had to laugh when I saw the title though, made me think of a failed project being sent out on the water with a viking funeral (burning). Originally, I also thought the bed would have rope "slats", but virtually every historical reference I've seen shows the Vikings used slats through mortises, with wedged pins holding them in place. Google "viking bed" for several examples. Since this bed's planned to be used as an actual bed, we did take a few liberties (like the dimensions...the vikings likely would not have made a bed this big), but the construction details are pretty close to historically correct. (Although I doubt they had mortising machines and RotoZips. ;) )

glenn bradley
09-11-2006, 2:36 PM
You could sleep your way to Valhalla in that thing. Very nice!

Douglas Robinson
09-11-2006, 3:17 PM
Looks good, but I bet you had a lot of Thor Spots.;)

Doug

Jim Becker
09-11-2006, 5:53 PM
Very interesting, Vaughn. Kewel design!

BTW, don't even think about using polyurethane varnish on that project unless you do a seal coat of de-waxed shellac. It's not going to stick over the shoe polish. An alkyd or phenolic varnish might, but I'd still opt for the shellac as a barrier layer for best adhesion.

Vaughn McMillan
09-11-2006, 6:42 PM
...BTW, don't even think about using polyurethane varnish on that project unless you do a seal coat of de-waxed shellac. It's not going to stick over the shoe polish. An alkyd or phenolic varnish might, but I'd still opt for the shellac as a barrier layer for best adhesion.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had suspected that would be the case (regarding adhesion), and was figuring it'd need a shellac layer to start. My little HF HVLP setup should be able to handle both finishes OK.