PDA

View Full Version : Four Cutting Boards...

Art Mulder
09-10-2006, 9:05 PM
These four are an addition to the set I started back in the spring
(see: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37474 ) (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37474)
and are going to be family presents this Christmas. Good thing none of them read SMC... :eek: At least, as far as I know.

Not the best pictures, the first one in particular has got some bright streaks in it. I need to work on that. I need a better backdrop too!

But anyways, enough excuses! These are all finished with one coat of the LVT beeswax + mineral oil finish, which is a dream to use. First are a pair of end-grain boards. Cherry and Walnut in one, and Cherry and Maple in the second. Next are a pair of long-grain boards. Maple and purpleheart strips in the first one. The purpleheart strips get progressively thinner, giving a nice look, I think. The last board is Maple, with strips of purpleheart and yellowheart. I really like the colours in that one, they go together very nicely.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-10-2006, 9:11 PM
Well, Art. You outdid yourself! Those are really nice!

Bruce

Ted Calver
09-10-2006, 9:13 PM
Art,
They are all winners!! Is LVT a brand name? I've always made my own beeswax/mineral oil mix and lately have tried beeswax and walnut oil (Mahoney's) with good results, but I wouldn't mind trying a commercial mix.

Corey Hallagan
09-10-2006, 9:15 PM
Excellent Art! Those are great. My favorite is the third one with the profile on the end. Nice job.

corey

Art Mulder
09-10-2006, 9:27 PM
Art,
They are all winners!! Is LVT a brand name? I've always made my own beeswax/mineral oil mix and lately have tried beeswax and walnut oil (Mahoney's) with good results, but I wouldn't mind trying a commercial mix.

Ted, you're going to kick yourself. LVT = Lee Valley Tools. I assumed that all woodworkers would know that acronym.

The link is here: Beeswax Salad Bowl Finish. (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=20087&cat=1,190,42950&ap=1)

best,
...art

Art Mulder
09-10-2006, 9:30 PM
My favorite is the third one with the profile on the end. Nice job.

Thanks, Corey. I'll let you in on a secret. The look of that third one is rather an accident. I was planning to just make it with wide maple strips, and progressively thinner purpleheart. But it turned out to be too narrow. I did have more maple, but it was from a different board, and would have had a much wider/different grain pattern than the rest of the maple. So instead I slipped in that wide strip of purpleheart on the other side.

Serendipity. I really liked the result also.

best,
...art

Ted Calver
09-10-2006, 9:52 PM
Thanks Art. Had to kick myself twice for that one!! :o :o

Marty Walsh
09-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Art,

Really nice boards!!! I hope the recipients aren't afriad to use them because they look "too nice"...;)

- Marty -

Vaughn McMillan
09-11-2006, 1:45 AM
Nice job, Art. Good attention to details on the edge finishing.

Alan DuBoff
09-11-2006, 2:19 AM
Art,

Great looking cutting boards. I enjoy making cutting boards, they're easy, they make people happy to receive them, and they's useful.

I made cutting boards with my kids last Mother's Day, 2 for my wife, one for my Mom, and one for my MIL. When my wife took the cutting board to my MIL (in Japan), she wasn't going to use it and keep it on her mantle...I made sure my wife used it while she was there so that my MIL wouldn't keep it and not use it.

Your layouts are very nice.

Art Mulder
09-11-2006, 8:02 AM
I hope the recipients aren't afriad to use them because they look "too nice"...

When my wife took the cutting board to my MIL (in Japan), she wasn't going to use it and keep it on her mantle...I made sure my wife used it while she was there so that my MIL wouldn't keep it and not use it.

Thanks, gentlemen. I take the view that it is completely up to the recipient what they do with them. They can hang it on a wall, for all I care. In fact, hanging it on a wall would actually be a pretty nice compliment.

When I gave one to a friend back in May she said the same as Alan's MIL -- I pointed out that she actually could have it both ways. If she is carefull to always cut on the same side, then she can hang it on the wall between uses --- with the cut side facing the wall and the good side facing out. Problem solved!

I like working with contrasting wood. It is fun to see how it comes alive when the first swipe of beeswax/mineral-oil wakes up the grain.
best,
...art

Peter Stahl
09-11-2006, 2:15 PM
Art, Very nice cutting boards, I'm partial to the first 2 but the others one look grat too! How big are they?

Art Mulder
09-11-2006, 3:41 PM
Art, Very nice cutting boards, I'm partial to the first 2 but the others one look grat too! How big are they?

The first two are end grain, and almost double the work; twice the clamping, and the second clamping is quite finicky, and even then the final smoothing is tricky. But the results are nice.

The two endgrain boards are almost 1-1/4" thick, and about 7-1/2" x 12-13"
The other two boards... I forget, I think they're about 14"-16" long, but I'll have to check later.

Peter Stahl
09-13-2006, 1:54 PM
The first two are end grain, and almost double the work; twice the clamping, and the second clamping is quite finicky, and even then the final smoothing is tricky. But the results are nice.

The two endgrain boards are almost 1-1/4" thick, and about 7-1/2" x 12-13"
The other two boards... I forget, I think they're about 14"-16" long, but I'll have to check later.

Thanks Art.