PDA

View Full Version : Toilet flange repair ?'s

Jim O'Dell
09-10-2006, 8:52 PM
Good evening. I waited (forgot about :o ) to fix the toilet in the house bath, before guests arrive on Friday, until this evening. Messed with my computer all day. At lease it saved me from watching the Cowgirls playing in Jacksonville!
I have a toilet that rocks. I knew the flange was broken, fixed it when we moved in 2 years ago with the metal straps underneath. Worked ok since then. I now find it is so broken up that it needs to be replaced. is there a solvent that will loosen the 2 PVC parts? Am I going to have to dig the concrete out to be able to replace this? Any tips you can give me would be appreciated. Jim.

Martin Shupe
09-10-2006, 8:58 PM
Jim,

Are you saying the PVC pipe in the foundation is broken? Or the wax seal is bad? I can't help with the PVC, but I fixed my wax seal, following instructions posted here, and it was not too hard. (Translation, if I can do it, anyone can.)

If your toilet rocks, but does not leak, you may just need to install a plastic shim, which are sold at the Borg. I had to do this after I replaced the wax seal. You stick the shim in until the toilet stops rocking, and then trim it flush with the edge of the bowl.

If you want more instructions, search all threads started by me, and there should be one on wax ring replacement, with lots of help from the fine folks here.

Someday we need to get together, since we are not too many miles apart.

Mark Rios
09-10-2006, 9:28 PM
Jim, PM me and I should be able to help you. I have to do this on a fairly regular basis and have just recently done it on two of the rental units that I maintain.

Couple of quick questions and you should be good to go.

Let me know.

Frank Chaffee
09-10-2006, 9:29 PM
Jim,
I’m not a plumber, but my conception of the joining of DWV pipe and fittings is that the solvent and glue used “melt” the parts into one, so no solvent could release the bond w/o destroying the joined material. If I am wrong here I hope that another Creeker points this out.

Since toilet bolts are available in various lengths and diameters, including lengths that can be trimmed with a hacksaw, perhaps you could repair the broken flange.

Once upon a time I repaired PVC material by wiping it with solvent, applying PVC cement, laying fiberglass cloth over the break, and then brushing on more cement.

If you can repair the flange with this approach it would surely be easier than excavating concrete.

Good luck,
Frank

Jim O'Dell
09-10-2006, 9:43 PM
A better description would be that the pipe in the foundation is PVC. The toilet mounting collar is also PVC, glued onto the pipe. (the flange goes inside the pipe.) The flange where the toiled bolts mount to is so broken up, it doesn't hold the toilet, Adding to this problem is that the previous owners installed carpet in the bathroom, so the toilet doesn't have a firm foundation to begin with. The floor is a slab foundation, thus the concrete.
While reading your posts, I think I thought of a solution, if they make these the right diameter and length. I could drill the concrete and install the tap in foundation bolts that secure themselves in the hole. IF they make them the right diameter. I think the flange bolts are probably 3/16" diameter. If I drill just right, I could probably use 1/4". I already bought one of the wax rings with the extra wax for problem installs. Guess I saw this coming, huh? :D

Mark, I'll shoot you a PM in just a minute. Thanks everyone! Jim.

Matt Meiser
09-10-2006, 9:54 PM
Reminds me that I've got one to fix too. Thanks a lot! :D Mine won't be as bad though since we've got a basement.

I had a similar problem at our old house. I bought a repair kit at Lowes that came with metal plates that slipped under the flange on each side. I think you've got a good idea though and believe that toilet flange bolts are 1/4x20.

Joe Mioux
09-10-2006, 9:57 PM
In order to make this repair you need to purchase one of the following....

New table saw, band saw, jointer, planer, sander, shaper, router, or someother notable woodworking tool!

Joe

Jim O'Dell
09-10-2006, 10:02 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Man, don't I wish!!! That's good, Joe....I needed a good laugh this evening! Jim

Joe Mioux
09-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Jim:

I am trying to convince my wife that I need a Minimax CU300 Smart combo machine in order to fix the drip in the kitchen sink.

Joe

BTW: I haven't been very successfull yet, but I am still trying!

Steve Clardy
09-10-2006, 10:19 PM
Couple of years ago when I proceded to finish my shop bathroom, I discovered that some idiot:eek: :mad: :o :o :o [me]:o had turned the stool closet [thats what they call them:confused: , beats me] at an angle so that I could not get the mounting bolts in.
So I got a couple of them thar lead thingies, concrete bit, and drilled a couple of holes and drove them thingies in the concrete and got two stainless 1/4" bolts.

Stainless bolts so if I ever have to replace the wax seal again.

Jim O'Dell
09-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Steve, that sounds a lot like my idea with the slab anchors that you drill a hole and hammer them in, only yours leaves a hole to screw into, and my idea leaves a bolt sticking up. Both should work.
I just got off the phone with Mark Rios, and he has some good ideas on some repair parts that should be available, if not at the Borg, at least at a plumbing supply house.
Thanks again for all the good ideas, and again to Joe for the chuckle! Jim.