PDA

View Full Version : Have some questions on getting a toy chest engraved

Charles Green
09-10-2006, 6:38 PM
Hello,

I'm about to start building a toy chest for my son on the way after I finish his dresser.

The project is made of maple dyed with dark brown Transtint dye.

I was interested in hearing options on getting the top to have his name in it.

How would this be accomplished? Would someone need the entire top? Should I get a small piece done and then inlay it?

Would it show after being having the dye applied?

If there is a FAQ that I missed let me know. I'm in the dark on this stuff.

Mitchell Andrus
09-10-2006, 7:20 PM
A limitation will be the overall size of the lid, or at least the panel to be engraved if it's of floating design. Some smaller lasers have a table that's 12 x 18, some go to 18 x 29 and others have drop doors front and back allowing a larger panel to be placed with a maximum image size of 18 x 29.

Some here specialize in engraving and/or inlays and have sites with examples. Post a little more info, someone will be glad to help you out.

Mitch

Mike Hood
09-10-2006, 8:00 PM
I have a ZX that will handle 38" wide and 20" (or infiinte with the doors open).

Lots of different way to do it. Shipping the top panel would be easiest.

Bob Reda
09-11-2006, 7:20 AM
A caved top could be done with something like a shopbot or another type cnc. That way the size will have no bearing as far as that goes.

Bob

Joe Pelonio
09-11-2006, 7:53 AM
I made a toy chest for my oldest back in '83 when she was 3. I just put her name on by hand with a router. It was not the greatest lettering job but I think it added character.