PDA

View Full Version : Jet mini gloat

Chris Oakley
10-09-2003, 4:12 PM
Well, after watching all of the fine work you guys are "turning" out I got jealous and bought a jet mini. Anything I should know before I get started, never turned anything in my life.

Dennis McDonaugh
10-09-2003, 4:25 PM
Well, after watching all of the fine work you guys are "turning" out I got jealous and bought a jet mini. Anything I should know before I get started, never turned anything in my life.

Get a good full face mask!

Scott Greaves
10-09-2003, 4:41 PM
Hi Chris!

I agree, safety first!

Join the AAW (American Association of Woodturners), and see if there is a turning club in your area.

If you've ever considered turning pens, check the Yahoo Penturners Group (of which I'm a member) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/penturners/

Most of all, have fun!

Scott.

Tom Sweeney
10-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Chris,
I love turning.- I can go out to the shop (though I haven't been but once in the last 2 or 3 weeks :mad: ) & usually finish something nice in one session. I also really enjoy the creative process of finding the right form out of a chunk of wood. The fact that the wood is FREE (it grows on trees you know) helps too.

Saying that - I have been frustrated because of my lack of sharp tools. I just bought the slow speed woodcraft grinder (still in the box :( ) & will try to figure out how to get the wolverine / vari grind jigs - or a shop made alternative. Get yourself a handfull of good turning tools & a really easy quick sharpening setup - keep your tools sharp, be safe & you will have 100% good times while turning. I even blew up a bowl last weekend & didn't mind because I learned something ( a bowl needs to be a little thicker than paper :eek: )

Second on the list would be some type of scroll chuck (I think that's what it's called) like a talon or stronghhold. I don't have one yet & am doing all my turnings off a faceplate which is doable but you have to plan the bowl out right. Of course if you are just going to do pens you can ignore the last paragraph.

Another One Bites the Dust Yeah :D
Have fun spinnin wood!