PDA

View Full Version : "Jesus Christ" relief carving finished......

Wolf Kiessling
09-10-2006, 4:17 PM
A while back I posted some pix of my lates relief carving, Jesus Christ, prior to having the complete finish applied. I did that because I can never get any decent pix after I have finished a project (I supposed due to the reflection from the lighting as I don't have proper filters for my camera). In any case, some of you wanted to see the finished project, particularly after I completed the frame.

What I have done since the last posting is give the background a heavy tooled finish and applied about 4 or 5 coats of hand rubbed danish oil. The figure was done with fruitwood and natural while the background was done with cherry and fruitwood. I built a shadowbox type frame using a construction grade 2X4 stud which I stained Vermont maple using a water based stain. The molding that is glued to the inside of the top of the frame was painted with gold acrylic and then the entire thing was covered with satin clear acrylic. The carving was then fastened to a masonite backing, painted with cherry red enamel, using a half inch floating spacer to allow for any warping that may occur. I generally would have used red felt but I ran out of it and Walmart didn't have any more and, since there is so little of the backing material visible, I figured to enamel would suffice.

I am not happy with the way the pic showing the frame came out as it shows no depth whatsoever. I guess it's just the way I photographed it. I probably should have set it at a slight angle but I figured, since I really don't have the proper lighting to create the appropriate shadow, it doesn't make any difference.

Anyway, here 'tis.................

Larry Crim
09-10-2006, 4:54 PM
It's plain to see you are an artist and much more patient than me, Very cool.
Larry

scott spencer
09-10-2006, 4:55 PM
Inspiring work and content Wolf! Extraordinarily well done...

Ken Fitzgerald
09-10-2006, 4:55 PM
Beautifully done Wolf! I always appreciate your art!

Rick de Roque
09-10-2006, 5:00 PM
Great job.

Rick

Glenn Clabo
09-10-2006, 5:02 PM
PERFECT...in many ways.

Joe Jansen
09-10-2006, 6:28 PM
That is very nice work inspiring
Joe

Rich Torino
09-10-2006, 7:35 PM
Wolf you are truly a master.... the center photo tells is all. the detail in the crown of thorns is amazing

Ron Jones near Indy
09-10-2006, 8:12 PM
Beautiful work Wolf! I admire both your skill and your inspiration involved with this carving.

Corey Hallagan
09-10-2006, 8:36 PM
WOW!! That is just awesome work Wolf!

Corey

Bob Noles
09-10-2006, 9:24 PM
Wolf,

Your work is most remarkable and a subject very close to home for me. What a beautiful job!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Russ Massery
09-10-2006, 9:32 PM
Very impressive Wolf, Thanks for sharing.

George Robin
09-11-2006, 7:30 AM
Absolutely beautiful! I can't even imagine where to start something like that.

Peter Stahl
09-11-2006, 2:17 PM
Awsome Wolf! You do nice work.

Wolf Kiessling
09-12-2006, 9:47 AM
Thank you for the kind words, folks...........

The next project is another large carved bowl and then I will attempt to do a bust (in the round) version of Jesus Christ with the crown of thorns. It will be several months before any of this will be done..........

Terry Hatfield
09-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Incredible work. Thanks so very much for posting it.

t

Mike Weaver
09-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Thank You for posting this beautiful work!
-Mike