PDA

View Full Version : How do you kill maggots in the trash?

John Hulett
09-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Last week was really bad with flies, so it's no surprise that when I took the trash out this morning, the can was infested with maggots. I tried to spray them with the same thing I use on the ants, but to no avail. HELP!

Steve Clardy
09-10-2006, 1:28 PM
Gasoline [carefully], Diesel fuel, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits.

After they complete a back stroke in some of it, they'll be ready for burial.:eek: :)

Just put a pint or so of it in there and put the lid back on.

Frank Fusco
09-10-2006, 2:19 PM
Throw out the trash. ;)

Kevin French
09-10-2006, 4:26 PM
Got to go with Frank, Save the Solvents, take it to the dump more offen. Then again winters com'n, that should take care of the problem also.

Lou Morrissette
09-10-2006, 4:43 PM
Household bleach.

Lou

Jim King
09-10-2006, 5:32 PM
Dont be wasteful. Winter is coming and every ice fisherman needs them. I dont think I ever met an oldtimer that didnt have half a dozen in his mouth to keep them warm for better action on the hook.

Don Baer
09-10-2006, 5:58 PM
Dont be wasteful. Winter is coming and every ice fisherman needs them. I dont think I ever met an oldtimer that didnt have half a dozen in his mouth to keep them warm for better action on the hook.

He's in Southern California, not much Ice fishing there..

Joe Pelonio
09-10-2006, 7:36 PM
We may have some of that around here soon. One of the big garbage companies just went on strike. Even when you have a pickup once a week it can be too long in warm weather, if just one pregnant fly gets in the can.

I'd suggest a less expensive thing to try, pour a box of salt all over them.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-10-2006, 8:03 PM
Yah BLEACH.
Then put a lid on it. The bleach will vaporizer into chlorine gas and kill everything.

Of course if the trash can is metal it'll do a number on that too.

John Kain
09-10-2006, 8:49 PM
Can always just pour a bottle of rubbing alcohol in there and shut the lid, seal it with tape. The vapors will kill them. When done just open it open and let it evaporate.

Mike Sheppard
09-11-2006, 1:07 AM
Put a shot of Raid in the can each time you open it. That seems to take care of it for us.
Mike

Dennis Peacock
09-11-2006, 1:43 AM
He's in Southern California, not much Ice fishing there..

LOL.!!!! So true... ;)

mike ellington
09-11-2006, 5:03 AM
Last week was really bad with flies, so it's no surprise that when I took the trash out this morning, the can was infested with maggots. I tried to spray them with the same thing I use on the ants, but to no avail. HELP!

John
here is a site that will give you your answer? http://www.bugspray.com/article/maggots.html

Mike

John Hulett
09-11-2006, 1:10 PM
I had sprayed the can - where I could reach, as it already had a bunch of trash in it - with some insecticide I use for ants and so forth. They didn't die immediately like the ants do, and even when I went back out about 20 minutes later, they were still there. I had done a bunch of searching and one thing that kept popping up was "boiling water." Made sense.

So I've got this big pot I used to use for brewing beer (I'm a real do-it-yourself-er :rolleyes: ) and brought that to a boil with about 10 quarts of water. I went out there and flipped the lid and most of them were gone. They had been all over the sides and on the under side of the lid, but now the only evidence were some in the crease of the lid and a couple more on an inside ledge of the can. Of the ones I saw, most were still, while a few others seemed to be dying a horrible death - twitching and such. I figured they're either really good actors, or the insecticide finally got the better of them. I proceeded to dump the boiling water in the can for good measure.

Today is trasn day, and I plan to worsh the thang out reel good before putting it back into service.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

- John

Scott Loven
09-11-2006, 2:23 PM
Foolproof Natural Organic Maggot elimination technique:
1) Place Maggot between thumb and index finger.
2) Rapidly bring thumb and index finger together.
3) Wipe hands on pants.
4) Repeat steps 1-3 until maggots are eliminated.

Harold Burrell
08-15-2010, 8:28 AM
Foolproof Natural Organic Maggot elimination technique:
1) Place Maggot between thumb and index finger.
2) Rapidly bring thumb and index finger together.
3) Wipe hands on pants.
4) Repeat steps 1-3 until maggots are eliminated.

5) Remember steps 1-3 the next time you go to bite your finger nails...

Sorry to resurrect this dead post. You can thank Leigh Betsch. ;)

Mitchell Andrus
08-15-2010, 8:34 AM
Sorry to resurrect this dead post. You can thank Leigh Betsch. ;)

You beat me to it.

Can we reach 60,000? - Hey, everyone's gotta have a hobby....

Joe Chritz
08-15-2010, 5:01 PM
In to help the view.

Joe

Don Jarvie
08-16-2010, 9:28 PM
Pour in some bleach and get the hose to wash them to the bottom in the bleach solution.

Next day wash the barrel and leave the lid off to dry.

If the have to let trash sit in it put some bleach in it and then the trash. The bleach will keep them at bay.

Chris Harry
08-16-2010, 9:38 PM
We've only had small ones here lately, but Ive had good luck spraying them with water into the bottom of the pail then letting the pail bake in the sun.

After that empty the water and Lysol the heck out of it.

Oh, and helping the view count :)

Karl Card
08-17-2010, 3:18 AM

oh my i think i just lost my lunch....

I dont guess they had chocoloate on them either

Rich Stewart
08-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Can you catch perch on maggots?

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-17-2010, 6:14 PM
keep the lids on the trash cans, Pour a little bleach into the can before you pitch in the bags. Then always replace the lid.
The heat should vaporize the bleach the lid will trap it and chlorine gas even in low doses, in a confined space, is a very effective lachrymatory agent.

Mike Cruz
08-18-2010, 7:22 AM
You kill maggots in the trash can the same way you eat an elephant...one bite at a time. Well, maybe you don't EAT the maggots, but at least you kill them that way... ;)

Bill Cunningham
08-19-2010, 9:51 PM
You kill maggots in the trash can the same way you eat an elephant...one bite at a time. Well, maybe you don't EAT the maggots, but at least you kill them that way... ;)

Is it really possible to Gag a Maggot?

View 52,308 pushing for 60k:cool: