PDA

View Full Version : Planer/molder

Nathan Hoffman
10-09-2003, 3:10 PM
Thanks to all of the great comments I received in my recent post about tool buying advice, I have decided to look at a tablesaw, mitersaw, and most likely a planer. My questions concerns the planer/molder combo machines that Jet and Grizzly sell. They are kind of in my price range, and I was wondering if anyone has had good/bad experiences with either one. Also, I might be able to buy a nearly new PM64A TS from my buddy so he can trade up to a Shop Fox cab saw. What is a one yr old PM64A worth, anyway? As always, thanks for the input.

Charles McKinley
10-09-2003, 4:02 PM
Hi Nathan,

I try not to spend more than 40-60% of new on used equipment.

About the planer, I know some people here have the Woodmaster. They may have units that are reconditioned or they took in on trade. There number is 800-821-6651 x-P304.

The ripsaw attachment may save you a lot of time on the flooring and molding.

No affiliation, just an object I drool over

Bobby Hatfield
10-09-2003, 4:15 PM
Thanks to all of the great comments I received in my recent post about tool buying advice, I have decided to look at a tablesaw, mitersaw, and most likely a planer. My questions concerns the planer/molder combo machines that Jet and Grizzly sell. They are kind of in my price range, and I was wondering if anyone has had good/bad experiences with either one. Also, I might be able to buy a nearly new PM64A TS from my buddy so he can trade up to a Shop Fox cab saw. What is a one yr old PM64A worth, anyway? As always, thanks for the input.

Nathan, I have an older Foley/Belsaw planer/moulder and have worn it out three times and it keeps on ticking. It is borderline normal shop use for precision planing or moulding, although I have made thousands of feet of moulding and planed everything on it at first, for a couple years. I would go with an 18" machine if I had it to do over. I feel a machine with cast iron bed would be the lower limit, it will last years. I don't know about the Grizzly, I have three Griz shapers, band saw, table saw and lots of nail guns and have had good service from them, but don't know about the moulders. If you are mechanicaly inclined you should be able to keep them tweaked, whatever brand, they all need love and affection, just like sweethearts.