PDA

View Full Version : Which IR Air Compressor Should I Buy?

Jack Hogoboom
09-09-2006, 10:49 PM
I read the August thread on the IR air compressors. I am about to build a new shop in my new house (stealth gloat:D ) and want to buy a larger, quieter air compressor. I intend to use the compressor mostly for nail guns, lathe work, etc. Nothing fancy. At some point, I might want to use it for a spray gun. I'd also like to have the flexibility to use air tools, like a ROS, as David Marks does....

Given everyone's thoughts, I definitely want an IR compressor. My question is, is the SS3L3 (3 HP, 60 gals.) enough or should I be opting for the SS5L5 5 HP model? I'm not looking to spend extra money, but don't want to ever have to buy another compressor and don't want to buy an undersized one.

Thanks in advance.

Jack

Chris Padilla
09-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Get the biggest tank you can if you want to keep the noise down or build the compressor in its own more or less soundproof box.

The bigger the tank, the more volume of air that can be stored, the less the air compressor will run to fill it. Mine goes off a little too much for my taste but too bad for me...I'll just have to live with it.

Isolating the compressor from the house is your best bet for noise control.

Joe Jensen
09-10-2006, 3:04 AM
I did a ton of research into this years ago. You want one that has the lowest compessor RPM. I found the Quincy to be the quietest, but I'm sure IR would have some of these as well. If my memory serves, the best ones had an RPM around 600-700. Most at Home Depot and the like run at over 1000 RPM...joe

Allen Bookout
09-10-2006, 9:45 PM
Jack,

Like you I wanted to buy a compressor that would serve me for a long time. I have messed around with units that were just a little to small for years and had enough of that. For the small amount extra for the 5hp 80gal IR I went with it and am really glad that I did. If you see them sitting side by side I think that you will decide that the extra cost is worth it also.

No more selling used and buying new larger compressors for me.

Let us know what your decision is. Good Luck!

Allen

Chris McDowell
09-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Jack, the most important thing on an air compressor is the CFM it puts out. Nail guns and smaller things of that nature do no demand a high amount of cubic feet per minute but air tools such as impacts and sprayers do. You need to figure out what you will be running and match the compressors CFM to cover that. Good luck.
Chris

tod evans
09-11-2006, 7:19 AM
jack, i`d suggest going with a 5hp, 4 cylinder, 2 stage, 80 gal unit. being as you`re designing your own shop plan on a compressor/dust collection room. these two necessary pieces cause the most noise that`s easily addressed at this stage in the planning....(p.s, i think quincy makes a better unit also;) ).02 tod

Jim Becker
09-11-2006, 6:17 PM
I have the SS3L3 in my shop and it's been outstanding for my needs. I run nail guns, spray finishes and every once in awhile use it to "top off" tires. :) Seriously, the CFM is the important thing and will help you make the decision between this one and the higher capacity unit. (I caught an attractive sale at Tractor Supply when I bought mine, too)

Oh...and a hearty contratulations on your "stealth gloat"!!

Bill Pentz
09-12-2006, 6:15 PM
I also did quite a bit of homework on mine and upgraded my 3 hp to the IR 5 hp two stage with 80 gallon tank. Had this not been on such a great deal on closeout I would have gone with the same two stage with large tank from Quincy.

bill

Dick Bringhurst
09-12-2006, 6:25 PM
I had the 5 hp at my old location and had to sell it because of a lack of room in my new location. Boy do I miss it. Go for the 5! Dick B.

Jack Hogoboom
09-13-2006, 11:00 AM
You guys aren't helping at all!!! I'm more confused than when I started.:o

Space isn't a factor. I don't expect to be running this thing every day, so I don't think I really need a two-stage compressor. I expect, like an old lady's car, that it will only be driven on the weekends.

Do I really need to pay $300 extra to get 5hp or will 3hp be sufficient for my needs?

Also, noise is a consideration. Which are quieter, 3 or 5, 2 stage or 1?

Thanks again.

Jack

tod evans
09-13-2006, 11:26 AM
jack, a single stage is generally quieter. as far as "your needs".....honestly an 80gal 5hp isn`t overkill given that you`d like to paint and run air tools..02 tod