PDA

View Full Version : Apply finish to both sides of plywood???

jonathan snyder
09-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Hi Folks,

I started on a murphy bed the other day. Using cabinet grade hickory plywood with solid wood edging. I have decided on BLO followed by shellac. On several of the peices the inside of the plywood will not be visable. Is it necessary to finish the inside? I realize it would be necassary with solid wood, but not sure on plywood.

Thanks
Jonathan

Steve Schoene
09-09-2006, 11:30 PM
It's certainly not a bad idea to coat both sides. Plywood can warp, too. I would advise foregoing the BLO on the interior. While the shellac should block the lingering odor that you would otherwise get from the oil in closed quarters, it's safer to omit the oil. You might also do a test of the appearance of shellac over BLO or over the bare wood. On hickory I wonder if BLO will have a significant effect.

jonathan snyder
09-10-2006, 1:28 AM
Steve,

Thanks, I have done up several samples with and without BLO and using dark garnet, orange and blonde shellac. The BLO definitly results in a nicer look. Im leaning twords the orange or blonde shellac. The plywood has some pretty nice figure and nice colors.

I will omit the BLO on the non-show side of the plywood, and just shellac it.

Thanks again
Jonathan

Steve Schoene
09-10-2006, 9:53 PM
Thanks for the results of your test. I haven't done much (perhaps not any) finishing on hickory so it is good to know.

Chris Padilla
09-12-2006, 3:03 AM
Jonathan,

I think the plywood, assuming it is secured properly, should be fine with finish on only one side. After all, the two sides are not really connected to each other at all and even if the thin veneer of the plywood that is finished moves a little...it shouldn't translate to the other side very much. After all, that is one of the beauties of plywood.