PDA

View Full Version : Window stools

Chris Johnson
09-09-2006, 6:04 PM
I will be doing some window trim for a project and was wondering what you would suggest for material for the window stools. Everything will be painted so I was thinking poplar would be good but mdf would be cheaper.
I will be using a premade casing to go aroung the top and sides. Thanks for any advice

Chris

Joe Unni
09-09-2006, 6:39 PM
Chris,

I'd vote for poplar. It paints up beautifully and you don't have to deal with any of the nasty mdf dust or the weight. And you can use the extra for any other "around the house" type projects.

Good luck,
-joe

Jon Eckels
09-09-2006, 8:35 PM
Pine is readily available in moulding profiles for window stools, and it paints up fine. are you doing something custom that a stock profile wouldn't work? or do you not want to use pine?

Per Swenson
09-09-2006, 9:05 PM
Stick with the pre-made pine stool available at the borgs.

There are a few different sizes.

You do not want to use MDF for this application.

Think open window, summer shower, disaster.

Per

Chris Johnson
09-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the advice, I was not aware that the borgs carried a pre made pine. I had just assumed that I would have to make them from scratch. I will check out the selection at lowes the next time I am there.

Chris

Per Swenson
09-10-2006, 4:58 AM
This will give you a idea of what to look for.

Per

Ben Grunow
09-10-2006, 4:19 PM
Just trimmed my house with MDF casings but used poplar for stools and trim in wet areas like baths and laundry rooms. Good advise- pine or poplar.