PDA

View Full Version : Shelves for my son

Douglas Robinson
10-09-2003, 11:23 AM
Here is a picture of a shelf I made for my son Jake. The angle of the shelves can be changed from the backward slope shownto parallel to the floor when he is older. It is made of oak and is finished with polyurethane. I made a similar one with a different design for the sides for my daughter Emma. I used pine for hers as SWMBO had me paint it to match the bedroom set I made for her.

Lee Schierer
10-09-2003, 12:18 PM
A very strudy looking shelf. Is the design your own? Good job, I'm sure they will get lots of use.

Douglas Robinson
10-09-2003, 12:28 PM
The design was based on a picture my wife saw in a catalog. I used some concepts I discovered in an issue of Woodsmith. Each shelf pivots on dowels at the front edge of each side. The back of each shelf is supported by pins that can be moved between upper and lower holes to move the shelves between the angled and flat positions. BTW that was my first attempt at routing a name. No templates. What a pain! I tried to stain the insides of the letters. Each project is a learning experience.

Todd Burch
10-09-2003, 4:32 PM
Good job Douglas! Your son will is getting a great gift that he'll use for many years to come.