PDA

View Full Version : Bread Box

Mike Hill
09-09-2006, 5:04 PM
Wanted to pass along the pictures of the bread box I built for one of my Daughters for Xmas (a requested gift) and some pics of Walnut I picked up today. Fred Woodward, a SMC Member lives 17 miles West of me in Lago Vista. We resawed about 5 or 6 large logs on his MM 16 band saw and Fred made me a deal on some of the Walnut. It is all about 5.5" wide and 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 " thick. BTW, the band Saw is a real tough piece pf equipment and never missed a beat.

The finish on the Bread Box is Lacquer, about 5 or 6 coats rubbed out with 0000 steel wool and polished with Renaissance Wax. Sara did not want a "glossy" finish.

Certainly enough lumber to keep me busy for awhile and I have several Jewelry boxes in mind, made of Walnut with inlaid Curly Soft Maple lids. There may be enough lumber to build a Tall Clock for LOML.

Hook Em Horns!
Mike

Cecil Arnold
09-09-2006, 5:16 PM
Nice looking box Mike. I really like air dried Walnut, it's just too bad we don't have enough of it around here to bring the price down. But really, Horns? Go Coogs.

Corey Hallagan
09-09-2006, 6:29 PM
Very nice Mike, I like that alot. Beautiful finish as well! Congrats on the wood gloat!

corey

Mike Cutler
09-09-2006, 8:29 PM
Nice Mike. Very nice. Did you put the lettering on before, or after the finish work? The finish around the letters looks very crisp. Nice detail work.

Bob Noles
09-09-2006, 9:10 PM
Mike,

A beautiful and very useful project. The lettering if perfect and a nice contrast of wood.

Excellent work and I'm sure it will be enjoyed for many years to come.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike Hill
09-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Nice Mike. Very nice. Did you put the lettering on before, or after the finish work? The finish around the letters looks very crisp. Nice detail work.

Mike: I put these on as the last thing, using thick CA Glue. I was going to use a router to put the letters on, but was up at Michael's and saw some nice pine (I think) letters. They were about a 1/2 inch or 3/4" thick. I resawed them on the band saw to 1/8th. My wife of 40 years said to make them a contrasting color, so I used a light stain. So BREAD is what I got :) I now have enough letters to build another couple of boxes.

Mike