PDA

View Full Version : Laser Down (Epilog)

Joe Pelonio
09-09-2006, 4:49 PM
:(
After solving my exhaust problem now I have an unrelated but
much worse problem. I ran a couple of small jobs then back to
a big one I'm working on (with a tight deadline).

The x movement while rastering started to stall a few times
mid run, the head would hesitate just now and then but within
a few seconds it stopped completely while the y kept going.
I took off the belt. The head moves very freely left and right.
I started a job with the belt off and the top open and the motor
that's at the right end of the x beam turns just a bit and with
a noise, like it's trying but can't turn. Unless there's something
anyone else can think of I'd guess that motor is shot. I'll be on
the phone to Epilog 6am their time Monday.

Steve McKee
09-09-2006, 5:13 PM
Considering the problem you had with the letter P and L is there a chance that something got into something that would cause this kind of problem? Just a thought.

Steve

Joe Pelonio
09-09-2006, 5:17 PM
No Steve, those letters have been in the exhaust for at least two
weeks since I last ran that job, bouncing around in the vent piping below the fan. I've been running 10 hours a day since then with no problems.

Rodne Gold
09-10-2006, 2:51 AM
A few things , check the encoders that they arent dirty , remove and reseat all connectors to the motor and the corresponding ones into the motherboard. If non of these work and you are really in a bind , you might try remove the motor and dissasemble it to see what is wrong? Perhaps a clean or a bearing lube is all thats required?
If it is broken , no harm done as you will be replacing it

Joe Pelonio
09-10-2006, 4:12 PM
I tried everything but the motor removal and no luck. Will wait to talk to Epilog, as I'll have to remove it to return anyway, and see if I can free it up. I have been told that the x motors are an Epilog weakness.

"Terry Pless"
09-10-2006, 7:23 PM
That's odd I lost X motion yesterday after I had to reset during a vector cut . When I tried to do my next cut the tray slamed towards me and back several times (scary) then stopped all the way at the bottom of the table. It frees up and allows me to push the beam back to the rear and will only move Left and right during a sample cut. I turned it off and back on no help, I went to service and reset x-y location no help. every I turn it on it slams again. Epilog will be on my phone tommorow as well. Terry

Joe Pelonio
09-10-2006, 7:47 PM
Hey, I get first dibs!!:D

Keith Bragg
09-11-2006, 4:28 AM
Hey Joe

I have the same Epilog as you the 24 tt 45 watt and I have replaced mine twice there is a new retro fit to the x motor that was sent to me after my first motor went the retro is a bracket that is install for support of the bearing they put on top of the new motor the original does not have the bearing or the support even after I replaced it the first time the motor went again on both occasions thought with a little grumbling epilog replace them both for nothing. And I had them overnight without missing a deadline great company. Peck and the boys out there talked me right threw the install I can do it in my sleep know. Hope this info helps.

Keith Bragg

David Harvey
09-11-2006, 7:03 AM
Joe, I had the same problem with my 24TT after 2 years of use. Epilog tech support was 'very' good and I had a free replacement upgrade for the servo the next day. It cured the problem and only took about an hour to replace.

It's hard to beat the Epilog support team. It seems they are always there and ready. I wasn't expecting a free upgrade on this either and was prepared to pay 500+ to get it fixed. If and when I should buy another laser you can bet it will be an Epilog.

Good luck! They'll get you going.

Dave

Joe Pelonio
09-11-2006, 7:57 AM
Keith and Dave,

Thanks for the info. I hope it goes as well for me. I can't afford to be down long with the deadlines I have.

Update: Just talked to Ian at Epilog, they are overnighting the new motor and upgraded bracket. No mention was made of money so hopefully they are not charging for it.

"Terry Pless"
09-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Well my call to Epilog didn't go so well.. I thought I lost X but found out it was Y and as a (test) to trouble shoot the fix I had to order $245.00 for a new encoder and pickup. They said if that don't fix it the next part is over $500.00. One good thing is that they'll let me return the parts I'm buying for credit if thats not it. Another Day Another Dollar oh yea LOST. They are good people it's just gets to be hard to keep spending money on it. 2 months ago a power serge (low voltage) cost me a $650.00 power supply and panel. I learned all serge protectors are not alike. Now I have a battery backed up low voltage one. But all said an done I really enjoy my Lazer. Terry

Joe Pelonio
09-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Sorry to hear that your problem is so much worse, Terry. Unfortunately with no local techs the only way to solve a new unknown problem is to
"throw parts at it." It sounds like from your experience a good UPS would make a wise investment for the rest of us. We're getting close to our windstorm season here where the power is sure to go out a few times.

Joe Pelonio
09-12-2006, 4:56 PM
:D :D :D I'm back up and running! Replacing the motor took 90 minutes, though part of that was going to buy another allen wrench so I could bend it to fit in a tight place, and then I forgot to readjust the belt tension so after a noisy test run had to go back and do that. Thanks to Epilog for getting me the part so quickly and having decent instructions. Actually it's now quieter than it's been in a long time. That old motor appears to have a bent shaft.

Frank Corker
09-12-2006, 9:04 PM
That's really good new Joe. Thank heavens the support for Epilog is good, it is very reassuring to know (not that I have had much problems)

"Terry Pless"
09-15-2006, 3:01 PM
Well, I'm back up and running as well, after buying the encoder strip and reader I also had to replace the 2 circuit boards on the beam bar but after all was done 3 days later I'm back to work. What looks to have been the culprit was a loose screw fell into the encoder strip rail and when the beam bar reset to home it broke the reader and cracked the circuit board it attaches to. Epilog's Teck support crew are really great and are a asset to their company. Terry

Joe Pelonio
09-15-2006, 4:57 PM
Glad you're back in action Terry. Amazing how much damage a little screw can do. That was the hardest part of my repair job, preventing them from falling when I removed or installed them. In fact to be safe I placed transfer tape between the table and sides of the machine. I'm always happy when I can do a job like that and have enough screws and no leftovers.

Bruce Volden
09-15-2006, 6:06 PM
[ I'm always happy when I can do a job like that and have enough screws and no leftovers.[/QUOTE]

ROOKIE 8>)

Bruce