PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Frame

Chris Padilla
09-09-2006, 4:31 PM
So the LOML comissioned me to make a frame for a mirror we removed from a bathroom remodel 3 years ago. We've just been moving it around not quite sure what to do with it.

Well, in the midst of a whirlwind of repainting 2 upstairs bedrooms (the Guest room and the Sewing room), we picked up some new base molding (borg) for the Sewing room and she found some molding there that she liked and wondered if I could make into a frame.

Well after thinking for less than a millisecond (that is 0.001 seconds), I proclaimed, "Sure!"

Well, here it is:

The first two pics are of this 1/2" MDF molding going for $1.09/ft at Home Depot. So I sawed down a 16' into rough dimensions and we took it home.

Problem #1: This is MDF...and it is only a 1/2" thick.

Problem #2: The old bathroom mirror is beveled a good 1/2" around its perimeter.

How do I put rabbets on 1/2" thick molding to hold a 20 lb mirror that is 1/8" thick itself?

My answer was to glue some 1/8" thick hardboard on the edges of the molding. You can see the "end grain" shot in Pic#2. Pic#3 provides a close up of the result of the glue-up along with some trimming on the TS to make everything square 'cause the hardboard swam around a bit during the glue-up but I expected this and made everything wider than I wanted. I ould have pinned the piece during glue-up but I didn't have short enough nails/brads.

Pic#4 shows the first mock-up after cutting everything down to size. Instead of using the same piece of molding for the top, the LOML wanted a bit of a "headboard" to the mirror. I'm sure there is a fancy name for a piece like this but it is lost on me. I decided, for strength, to use 2 #0 biscuits in each miter and 1 #20 biscuit in each of the connection points to the "headboard." Even if some disagree about the strength, they also served to keep things aligned...which was pretty critical for this frame. Those miters don't have much surface area so I'm hoping my Titbond II and biscuits do the trick for a long, long time.

Well, as you might have surmised, that piece of poplar was much thicker than the 1/2" molding (about 7/8" IIRC) but I liked that as the molding terminated into it with just a hair above its profile. Next was to cut some rabbets into the poplar to match the molding's rabbets. No problem on the router table and PRL (precision router lift from Woodpeckers...god, I love this thing) and Incra Twin-Linear fence system (got, I love this thing, too! :D ). I cleaned up the corner with a chisel. Next....will the mirror fit??? :confused: :confused: :eek:

Chris Padilla
09-09-2006, 4:32 PM
Will the mirror fit?

Why, of course it will! :D Pic#1 and Pic#2 show the fit and rabbet matching I was able to do with my router table. Those brass measuring pieces are 1/16" and 1/8" respectively. My gap when done was somewhere in between the two. Not bad, not bad.

I figure the poplar need a little bit of room to move but I was just itching to get out my Low Angle Veritas Smoothing plane to take some frothy shavings off the edge to both clean it up and to pare it down a few mils. :D Pic#3 shows the fun of doing this. I'm always looking for an excuse to break out the hand tools...I need all the practice I can get with them.

Well now you didn't thing the LOML was gonna let the "headboard" just remain square, didya?! Pic#4 shows the design she came up with. It matches more or less with another similarly-shaped piece I did in the sewing room. You'll see that in some later pics. All I did was trace it out and chop it out with my Festool Trion jigsaw using a narrow blade.

Pic#5 is the result after some work with a rasp, handsanding, detail sanding, PC-121 drum sanding (see it poking out of the top of the workbench back there) and, yes, woodputty :o . All I can say is it is a darn good thing this thing will be painted. The jigsaw got a bit out of control and put some marks where it shouldn't have! Bad, jigsaw, bad! I threw it as hard as I could into the corner of the shop...I showed it! ;)

So how did the glue-up go?? :confused:

Chris Padilla
09-09-2006, 4:32 PM
Well it went just fine, thank you very much! :D

I used my Bessey strap clamp and it worked out pretty well and really got the miters all snugged up nice and tight. It is always best to take a dry run or two when doing a relatively complicated glue up. You'll catch lots of little things that will make things go smoother the second time around. Titebond II keeps you moving! :( One thing I had on hand was a small container of warm water and an old toothbrush. You got it...I scrubbed each joint that oozed glue until it was clean. That is why you see the color missing on the MDF at these points. Yeah, it left it rough but some 400-grit smoothed it right back out and I had some very nice and tight and clean joints.

The last 3 pics show the frame painted up in a buttery color that matches the base molding here in the Sewing room where it will be hung once the LOML figures out where it should live. It actually came out pretty nice. You can see the "inspiration" for the mirror's "headboard" design now. We decided to maximize access to the closet in the Sewing room by making the door a curtain and so I made a "valence" (I actually think this IS the correct word here) out of poplar and it, too, is painted the buttery color (matches the ceiling).

A couple of lessons I took away from this experience. Alway make yourself extras. You might recall that I bought 16' of this molding. Really, I only need 3/4s of that since the frame only used 3 pieces but I went ahead and pretended I needed 4. Having the extra piece around was quite nice for setting up the biscuit jointer and it made glue-up of the hardboard rabbets easier, too (I did back to back glue-up of two pieces at one time). It also made setting up the depth on the TS and router table easier.

But, in all honesty, the best reason for the extra piece was because I SCREWED UP cutting the bottom frame piece and made it too short! :mad: Thank goodness I had that extra piece...saved me lottsa time and a few bucks in the end.

I still need to cut the hardboard backer board and I bought some keyhole fasteners that I plan to mortise into the poplar once we figure out where on the wall the mirror will live. I will place the keyhole fasteners on two studs in the wall...or at least that is the plan!

Thanks for viewing...it was fun.

Cecil Arnold
09-09-2006, 5:25 PM
Chris, after all the trials and tribulations of the shop rehab last year it's about time you put it to its proper use. I just want to know where the pics of the curtains are. By the way, the mirror looks good.

Chris Padilla
09-09-2006, 5:28 PM
LOL! The curtains are long gone. I really did try to save them. I threw them in the washing machine and they came out shredded and had to be tossed. Honest! :)

Thanks for the kind words about the mirror.

Steve Clardy
09-09-2006, 5:30 PM
Looking good Bro :D

It's about time you are actually making something out of wood;)

Corey Hallagan
09-09-2006, 6:38 PM
Chris, that is beautiful! You did an awesome job on that!

corey

Bruce Page
09-09-2006, 6:45 PM
LOL! The curtains are long gone. I really did try to save them. I threw them in the washing machine and they came out shredded and had to be tossed. Honest! :)
Yeah, sure...

Nice work on the mirror!

Mike Cutler
09-09-2006, 8:40 PM
Nice work Chris. It came out very clean.

Have you ever noticed that for all big $$$$ machines, jigs and fixture in our shops, at the end of the project the bench is always littered with, chisels, files, a block plane, and sandpaper. What's up with that anyway.:D ;) Do those 'Neander guys know something and aren't telling us?

Once again Chris. it came out very nice. It was a well done essay also. Thanks.

Chris Padilla
09-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the accolades, Guys. It wasn't a terribly complicated project but it was fun and I always learn something no matter what project I'm doing. My wife even at one point told me to just make the frame from all the same pieces if it was easier but I forged ahead and did the mildly fancy top for it.

Mike, I dunno about that. I did use my F jigsaw, PC biscuit cutter, and fancy-schmancy router table adorned with Incra/Woodpecker stuff as well as the PC121 oscillating spindle sander to get me most of the way but all the final shaping of that top piece came down to rasps, hand detail sanders, and just plain old handsanding. I even rounded over all the edges with handsanding. There's nothing like your fingers and palms to really tell how smooth (or not smooth!) the wood is! :)

Chris Padilla
09-11-2006, 2:37 AM
Shameless bump! :D

Jim Becker
09-11-2006, 6:21 PM
Was this from any of your lumber stock that was in the dining room?? :D :D :D

Seriously, very nice frame! Great job, Chris...it's nice to see you producing project out of the shop now.

Chris Padilla
09-11-2006, 7:06 PM
Yeah, Jim! I just painted over all that curly maple I have...I mean, it was just sitting there ya know! ;)

BTW, here is the fastening system I plan to mortise into the back to hang it on the wall. Should be nice and strong when mortised.

Kevin Blunt
09-11-2006, 7:51 PM
Nice work Chris!

Chris Padilla
09-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks, Kevin! I have a younger brother named Kevin.... :)