PDA

View Full Version : I think this is a good deal.....

Mark Rios
09-09-2006, 3:13 PM
This is the very first time I've ever even touched cherry and I'm not sure what I'll do with it but I got this from the couple that I bought my Unisaw from.

The longer sticks are the cherry, 6/4 x 8 1/2" x 10' each.

The other two sticks are mahogany, one stick measures 6/4 x 8" x 40" and the other is 4/4 x 8 3/4" x 71".

The 4/4 mahogany has some twist in it as well as one of the cherry boards, although the twist in the cherry board is not very bad.

Oh yeah, I got it all for $50. Is that good?

Alex Berkovsky
09-09-2006, 3:50 PM
Mark,
In NY I would have paid more just for one board of cherry in the picture. I'd say you've got yourself a great deal.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-09-2006, 8:44 PM
DUH, Mark! You're not BLONDE are you? (just kidding!)

Great Gloat!

Bruce

Mark Rios
09-09-2006, 8:52 PM
I really don't know how much cherry is per BF and I don't know what "good" cherry would be. I've never been much of a fan of cherry wood furniture. My music studio console project is the first time I've used mahogany. I'm not real experienced in working with hardwoods other than oak, walnut and maple and even then I'm DEFINATELY no expert.

I am glad to hear though that it was a good deal because I didn't want to pay too much for wood that will probably just hang around a while.

Mike Henderson
09-09-2006, 9:15 PM
Mark - Once you use cherry I think you'll come to enjoy and appreciate it. It works fairly easy, certainly easier than oak or maple IMO, and has a nice aroma when you cut it.

And cherry furniture ages to a beautiful rich color. It darkens with age and fits in well with many other kinds of wood, such as mahogany furniture.

Good luck and let us see what you make out of it.

Mike

Don Baer
09-09-2006, 9:32 PM
Lets see, thats 1.73 bd,ft. YUP ya done good.

Corey Hallagan
09-09-2006, 9:39 PM
Mark congrats! I think you got a good deal! Good cherry would be any that is nice and straight, excellent cherry would be cherry you got for that price or any curly or figured wood :) Again, congrats!

Corey