PDA

View Full Version : Making a dresser - dado question

Alex Berkovsky
09-09-2006, 1:31 PM
Finally got the motor replaced on my zip code saw and jumped back in the shop to continue working on the dresser. The plans call for biscuit joinery throughout, but I decided to use stopped dados instead for the drawer dividers.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/jarhead8286/Woodworking/th_Dressercarcase.jpg (http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/jarhead8286/Woodworking/Dressercarcase.jpg)

If I make the dados 1/4" deep, will the shelf be weekened too much where the dividers line up?

Mike Cutler
09-09-2006, 1:53 PM
If the shelf material is 4/4 I would go with 1/8" dados for the center dividers, and 1/4" for the other dividers. An 1/8" from both sides still leaves a 1/2" of solid material for the center dividers that are stacked on top of each other, and that is more than enough. They're really only there for indexing primarily, but they will provide some vertical support in addition.

I don't think it would weaken the structure to go 1/8" or 1/4". The dado is being filled with the vertical drawer divider. I think that 1/4" on the ends, where the drawer shelfs meet the side would be a good choice.

Grain orientation is going to be more important now that you will not be using the biscuits. The long grain of the divider needs to run the length of the dado to glue up properly.

Alex Berkovsky
09-09-2006, 2:11 PM
If the shelf material is 4/4 I would go with 1/8" dados for the center dividers, and 1/4" for the other dividers...

...Grain orientation is going to be more important now that you will not be using the biscuits. The long grain of the divider needs to run the length of the dado to glue up properly.Mike,
The material is 3/4" ply. As far as the sides, I was planning to use biscuits there, if for nothing else, to get some experience with my biscuit joiner.

Mike Cutler
09-09-2006, 2:23 PM
Alex.

Sorry for the misfire. I thought you were eliminating all of the biscuits. Oops.
What type of Ply material and wood do the plans spec?

Alex Berkovsky
09-09-2006, 3:08 PM
Alex.

Sorry for the misfire. I thought you were eliminating all of the biscuits. Oops.
What type of Ply material and wood do the plans spec?Mike,
I am using maple ply, hard maple edging, and cherry drawer fronts.