PDA

View Full Version : Making a 45 degree wye 6" dia

Julio Navarro
09-09-2006, 1:30 PM
(I hope its ok to post this in this section)

I want to make a couple of wye fittings for my DC duct work. Right now I am using 6" "T" fittings I got from the BORG, but I know that is not the most efficient way.

I looked into the retail ones but they looked easy enough to make my self, heck, I built the cyclone!

So I decided to do it my self.

Heres the ACAD lay out of the evolution..

Heres what the layout gives me to transfer to a flat unrolled piece of galv steel duct from Lowes...

Heres what it should look like when done.

I printed out the layout full scale and I will be transferring that to my unrolled pipe section and then cutting it.

I'll have the pics later, I hope , if all goes well,...well, even if not, I'll post pics of the result.

Jeff Horton
09-09-2006, 2:36 PM
Brings back memories of school time drafting classes. Drew up a few of those. I worked in a sheet metal shop for a year and remember those guys could lay out things like that likety split. They made it look so simple and they always fit.

Frank Chaffee
09-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Julio,
Nice, same as the rest of your cyclone sheet metal work.

For the record, I am about to inquire as to the availability of a plotter that can output similar templates.

While you, Jeff Horton, myself and many others here learned to develop shapes on the drawing board and apply them to regular and/or curvilinear forms, I am concerned that with the advent and prevalence of computer cad programs our younger generation may not be developing a conceptual foundation of experience upon which to build.

The experienced sheet metal shop workers for whom developments were child’s play that Jeff alluded to are rapidly becoming an endangered species, and few modern engineering graduates seem to have much hands-on experience in building beyond the keyboard.

I do not wish in any way to inhibit or discourage funding of programs that help our youths utilize technological developments, but I certainly encourage that programs we provide be founded on the development of our newfound technologies, and include exercises that predate the industrial revolution, such as those referred to on this forum as “Neanderthal”. The hand/eye coordination that we now possess, did, after all evolve from our efforts to survive personally and care for our progeny, and by extension care for our community.

Should anyone wonder whether “standing on the shoulders of giants” is a safe stance, I refer them to Michael Crichton’s book Jurassic Park, yes the book, not the movie.

Frank