PDA

View Full Version : Wood sample storage case

Jim King
09-09-2006, 1:12 PM
This is a 6 drawer case of Tigre Caspi for our wood sample collection. It is 24 inches square by 4 feet tall. It will hold hundreds of species of official size samples 1/2 x 3 x 6.

Ken Alcott
09-09-2006, 1:24 PM
very nice Jim!

Julio Navarro
09-09-2006, 1:33 PM
wow, interesting wood!

Mark Rios
09-09-2006, 2:22 PM
Ya know, I don't believe in the global warming disaster spin that the politicos throw around but...........if it will make the climate change up here in N. America so that some of these wonderful wood types will grow up here, then I'm all for it.

:D :D :D

Corey Hallagan
09-09-2006, 6:48 PM
Wow, that is beautiful Jim. I love seeing what you do with all this exotice wood in your back yard!!

Corey

Al Killian
09-10-2006, 12:54 AM
That looks great. Do you use verneers for samples?Just wondering as a newbie I am strating to collect scraps of verneer so I know what wood is waht.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Yikes Jim, You really have THAT MANY species down there? WOW!:eek:

BTW, that is an awesome Storage Cabinet!:D

Bruce;)

Chris Padilla
09-10-2006, 1:19 AM
Nice stuff...now list whatcha got in there! ;)

Jim King
09-10-2006, 3:08 PM
Al : All of our samples for the collection are 1/2 inch x 3 x 6.

Bruce: We think we have the second largest wood collection in South America second to the wood museum in Manaus , Brazil. It should only take another thousand years to finish.

Chris: We are working on the names on a full time basis. Sometimes it can take a few years for a species because without the flowers. fruit and leaves you are lost. Some trees only flower every few years . The wood is the last thing of importance in the ID process.

I will attach a few photos of our ID work area and research . We work with this man on a daily basis and he spends a few moths a year here also. http://www.biol.sc.edu/~czako/Czako.htm

Jim