PDA

View Full Version : Dust everywhere dust

Gary Breckenridge
09-09-2006, 2:15 AM
:) I need to do something about dust on the floor. I already have a Delta 50-875 mounted on the ceiling but the dust keeps piling up on the floor. Will a Delta AP 400 really pick up the dust from a table saw, jointer and a band saw? (One at a time) I'm also looking at the Grizzly 68027 and the Jet DC 650 All have cloth bags and a 1 hp motor and run about $175. Is there another option? Is noise a problem? ;)

Thanks

Ron Blaise
09-09-2006, 5:37 AM
Gary:
I too have a delta air filter but I combine it with a very low micron canister type DC to pull dust from my equipment. The bags on the units you are talking about are probably 30 microns and are about as useless as mammary glands on a boar hog. I suggest investing in good dust collection for your tools but mostly for the sake of your health. Saw dust can and does cause serious health issues, mostly from the very small particles you can't readily see. Even with a good dust collection system, I regularly use a dust mask too. You just can't capture all the dust you make and in time it can make you very ill, I know that, having found out the hard way. From reviews I have read, Oneida seems to have the edge on Turbine dust collectors or you could build your own. Several on this forum have done so and would gladly share information on how to do it. I hope I have helped.
Ron

John Timberlake
09-09-2006, 8:06 AM
For the tools you listed, any dust collector will collect most of what you want. Fine dust will come through the 30 micron bag, but these tools do not create a lot of fine stuff. The table saw and band saw are difficult to get all the dust, but you should get 90-95%. As far as noise is concerned, I would go and listen to them. You want to make sure there is none of that high pitched whine that some shop vac create.

Russ Massery
09-09-2006, 8:43 AM
John, I suggest you do some reading at Bill Pentz's website. He refers the "dust collectors" you spoke of as nothing more than "chip collectors".

tod evans
09-09-2006, 9:47 AM
John, I suggest you do some reading at Bill Pentz's website. He refers the "dust collectors" you spoke of as nothing more than "chip collectors".

gary, russ offers very good advice. do yourself a favor by reading the information bill pentz has put together..it`ll take you a couple days!...02 tod

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm

Julio Navarro
09-09-2006, 11:14 AM
I can tell you from experiance, building the Pentz cyclone was a lot of fun and I learned a ton.

I would be more than glad to answer any quiestions if you decide to consider building your own.

also, take a look at Stu in Tokyo's web site on how he built his Pentz cyclone.

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/cyclone.htm

I couldnt have built mine with out Stu's advice.

Take my word for it, with a 3hp motor the Pentz cyclone will suck anything (its designed for a 5hp so imagine that what that will do).

I CAN answer one of your questions...noise is a big deal.

Don Baer
09-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Gary,
Julio is right on with his advice about a cyclone, short of that the 1 HP DC's are just under powered IMHO. If your gonna go that route then get a 2 HP, Harbor Freight has em for less then $200 and then you can get a 1 micron filter for less then $70.