PDA

View Full Version : Stickering oak flooring with walnut stickers

Spencer Hochstetler
09-09-2006, 12:11 AM
I'm going to be picking up a load of unfinished flooring tomorrow and I'll be letting it equilibrate in my house for awhile. My plan was to sticker the flooring a la air drying methods. To do this, I need to make some stickers and it turns out I have a bunch of short-ish pieces of "junk" walnut lying around that isn't nearly suitable for furniture making that I like to use walnut for. I thought I'd put it to good use by make a pile of stickers for this and future needs. I fear that walnut may stain the oak if stacked too long. Am I unneccessarily afraid or will walnut stickers be OK? It will be stacked for at least 2 weeks but no more than 3 or 4 months (cross my fingers :eek: ).

Ian Abraham
09-09-2006, 12:32 AM
As long as both woods are dry already then it wont cause a problem.

If the wood was green it might be possible for the mositure to leach some pigment and cause a stain. But if you are just conditioning dry wood, no worries.

Cheers

Ian

Spencer Hochstetler
09-09-2006, 1:11 AM
Both woods have been kiln dried, but have been equilibrated to outdoor humidities...

Thanks Ian...

Ken Salisbury
09-09-2006, 4:53 AM
In order to be a bono-fide member of SMC you must use a real first and last name. Please PM Jackie Outten (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=6)with that information and she will update your registration.

"Your Friendly Moderator"