PDA

View Full Version : Fuji HVLP

Paul Franklin
09-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Hi guys

I am looking for some help. I am considering buying a HVLP system and was thinking of the Fuji Mini Mite 3
Do you have one? What do you think of it? What other system would be better?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Cecil Arnold
09-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Paul,

I have the old Fuji sprayer with the bypass (?) gun. While I would like one where the air doesn't blow all the time, I have been happy with the results and think Fuji has a good product and good CS. They sent me a needle valve replacement "out of the blue" and explained that there had been problems with the old ones. One of the mags. did a review and IIRC the Fuji, while not the top rated, tested very well and had a number of qualities that ever the better rated units didn't. I think you would be satisfied with it.

Brad Olson
09-09-2006, 12:34 AM
I looked at the MM3, but there is a big compromise in the gun for this model. It isn't their greatest gun available

If I were you I'd get the MM4 instead. It has a non-bleeder gun that is the same on the Q4 system. The MM4 gun is also a pressure pot which is a bit nicer than a gravity feed gun IMHO.

If a quiet turbine isn't important note that the Q3 is the same as the MM3 and the Q4 is the same as the MM4 so anything you learn about the Fuji Q series is directly applicable (sans quiet feature) to the MM version of the gun/turbine.

I also got the MM4 to be able to spray paints as well. So far I have been able to spray about any type of water based paint I have tried. Thinning is not required for spraying BUT it is required for the paint to properly flow out and get a nice smooth surface. I thin WB paint with floetrol and a bit of water. I also normally thin any WB paint with Floetrol when brushing/rolling to get it to flow out as well.

For lacquers and poly the gun on the MM4 is outstanding and lays down a fantastic finish and since the gun is non-bleeder it doesn't blow dirt all around when not spraying.

The turbine is loud, but it is also loud on the Q4 as well so I wear hearing protection anyway. Thus to me, it wasn't worth $200 extra for the quiet feature. Also note that all turbines are the same from the various other manufacturers. The only difference between manufacturers is the guns. I typically put the turbine about 10 feet away from where I am working and with ear protection the noise is nothing worse than a table saw.

I got my MM4 for $550 including the whip hose from Amazon with their 20% off paint supply sale, and outstanding deal and it has been one of my better purchases

If you get any Fuji set up get the whip hose. It will take a lot of pressure off your wrists while spraying.

In my hands, the whip hose makes no difference for spraying things like lacquer, but I also spend a few minutes tuning the spray pattern before hitting the workpiece. Some report that lacquers will dry before hitting the workpeice since the air is warm that comes from the turbine. The whip hose does cool the air considerably and so I recommend buying it as well. IIRC it is a ~$30 item

One thing I thoug initially was cheesy about the Fuji is that the hose is actually a high quality garden hose and it uses garden hose fittings for the connections. However, in contemplating this, I realized, DUH, this means that if I ever have an issue with the hose, fitting or quick release, I don't need to order special parts, I can just go out to the home center and get replacement parts that fit standard hoses. Not only does this save time but garden hose fittings are generallly dirt cheap.

Hope that helps and I can answer any specific questions if you have any