PDA

View Full Version : Organization Help Needed!

Pete Jordan
09-08-2006, 8:41 PM
I am going to take everything out of my 2 and a half garage tomorrow and start over. I need suggestions on what would be the best set up. I would love pictures or any words of advice that you can offer. I am going to move all of the kids stuff and lawn machines to the carport that I am putting a garage door on in a couple of weeks. I only need to leave room for one car at this time. I am thinking that it would probably make sense to have the lathe on one side of the garage and the saws on the other so I don't have to clean them up after turning but I don't know.

I also took Jim Becker's advice and bought a vacuum pump system from Johnny Tolly and it looks great! I am waiting for the adapter from Oneway to hook it up. Should I hang it on the wall or put in on a shelf or the floor?

thanks for any suggestions!
You may view the mess at http://homepage.mac.com/petejordan/Garage/PhotoAlbum58.html

Steve Ash
09-08-2006, 8:44 PM
Advice???? Good Luck....:D

Bob Noles
09-08-2006, 8:50 PM
Pete,

All I can say is that you have your work cut out for you :eek:

One consideration of keeping the saws on the same side of the shop as the lathe would be you only dirty half the shop and therefore only have of clean half as much. I have my bandsaw, drill press, router table and lathe in the same area and it works out that I only have to vac about half the shop that way with an occasional pass at the other side from time to time.

Just some food for thought

btw... is there really a lathe in there somewhere or are you pulling our leg :D

Art Mulder
09-08-2006, 9:19 PM
Yeah, what Steve said! :D

Now, I'm not a turner (found this via the "new posts" link), but I think you need a seriously big shelving unit. You've got stuff all over the floor right now. Get a big shelf and get things stacked and organized. You might want to do a big sort and purge at the same time. over on the left, for instance, you've got three shelves that look crammed with all kinds of cans and bottles. Old paint? Old Finish? is it all useful?

And you still need to be able to fit in a car? Hmm, if you built a parition you could make it a 1 car garage plus a 1.5 car-sized shop.

Best wishes,
...art

Steve Clardy
09-08-2006, 9:21 PM
Shelves shelves shelves

Steve Ash
09-08-2006, 9:32 PM
Pete, I got a better idea.....call your local builder (me) and I will build you a dedicated building just for turning.....then you won't need to clean your shop.

No charge for the advice, I'll make it up when I build that new shop for you :) :D :cool:

Pete Jordan
09-08-2006, 9:38 PM
Pete, I got a better idea.....call your local builder (me) and I will build you a dedicated building just for turning.....then you won't need to clean your shop.

No charge for the advice, I'll make it up when I build that new shop for you :) :D :cool:

You sure are a lot of help!

I have been cleaning for the last hour and I still can't find two power sanders. Maybe the neighbor's dog took them. My kids are too scared to go in there.
Back to work.

Bart Leetch
09-08-2006, 9:44 PM
Pete you can check out this post I made a while back.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26747

Keith Burns
09-08-2006, 9:49 PM
Pete, one word.....Dumpster, naw make that two words....Big Dumpster !!!!:D

I know that the Grizzly site has a free shop layout program that may help. Delta may have one too.

Pete Jordan
09-08-2006, 9:57 PM
Pete you can check out this post I made a while back.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26747

Thanks Bart!

That gives me some good ideas.

I just realized that all three of my sanders are missing. I guess it's time to lock the garage.:(

Bill O'Conner
09-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Pete, one word.....Dumpster, naw make that two words....Big Dumpster !!!!:D

I agree

Bernie Weishapl
09-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Hey Pete, bring the lathe to my shop. I will hold it for you until you decide what to do. No charge for storage.

Keith Burns
09-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Bernie, look at the pics again............I don't see a lathe anywhere. Did he already send it to you?:D

Bernie Weishapl
09-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Keith it must be on the way. :p :p

John Hart
09-09-2006, 7:22 AM
What mess? looks like my shop on a good day!

I'm curious Pete....why would you muck up a perfectly good shop by parking a car in it?;) :D

Ernie Nyvall
09-09-2006, 7:57 AM
Pete, just looking at the pics of your shop, and then mine. I'm thinking "Man are you organized". Like Keith wrote though, Grizzly has a shop organizer tool on their site.

Pete Jordan
09-09-2006, 10:05 AM

I'm curious Pete....why would you muck up a perfectly good shop by parking a car in it?;) :D

Just when it snows.:D

Bob Noles
09-09-2006, 10:28 AM

John,

It could always be worse........

He could park horsies in there :eek: :D :D :D

Frank Fusco
09-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Bulldozer?

Andy Hoyt
09-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Trip to the dump.

Shelves to the max

Table Saw to the "bay".

Mustard Thing to dead center.

Hurry up!

Frank Kobilsek
09-11-2006, 3:50 PM
Pete
You got heat and insulation, thats a dream of mine. I still get a car in the two car garage but the pile of 2 to 4" thick walnut planks (for platters and bowls) has become the catch all pile.

Frank

Your orginal post was three days ago, how about a status report.

Barry Stratton
09-11-2006, 3:58 PM
Just when it snows.:D

Ditch the car and get a truck, they do just fine outdoors in winter! Problem solved.

Feel free to send whatever you don't want to my MN address. I've got a BIG SHOP waiting for me to fill it up next summer!

Frank Fusco
09-11-2006, 4:04 PM
When I set about gathering my shop stuff together, I had no previous experience setting up a WW shop. My space is long and narrow. Early on I decided that to save space, I would use an 'island' system. Bench and major tools (lathe, bandsaw, etc.) are along and at the ends of the islands. One island is a 21"X48" table with a Razor Sharp, wet slow sharpener, 1" belt and disk sander/grinder, 8" grinder and an old grinder with my 80 grit sharpening stone and a flap sander on it. All neatly clustered. Another island has drill press and 6" belt sander with drill bit storage underneath. Lastly, and about to get changed is a movable island that has my 10" compound/mitre/slider saw. I leave just enough room between islands so my butt doesn't bump when I am working at a tool.

Pete Jordan
09-11-2006, 4:53 PM
Pete
You got heat and insulation, thats a dream of mine. I still get a car in the two car garage but the pile of 2 to 4" thick walnut planks (for platters and bowls) has become the catch all pile.

Frank

Your orginal post was three days ago, how about a status report.

I worked hard this weekend and gained quite a bit. My wife is movin out tomorrow and all of her stuff is in the carport. Once she leaves I will move all of the lawn and garden stuff to there and that will make things much easier.

I also had three sanders stolen from my garage so I am putting a garage door on my carport and that won't happen until next week. I will post "after" pictures when the job is completed.

thanks for asking,

Pete

Rob Bourgeois
09-11-2006, 5:26 PM
Thanks...now my wife thinks my shop( garage) is clean and orgnaized. :)

Good luck..think high shelves put stuff you dont use on the top.

Jim Dunn
09-11-2006, 11:17 PM
A big vacumn cleaner would be a good start. Then a little work on some shelves for the blanks and some cabinets for all the misc. stuff. I hate shelves, just dust collectors waiting to happen.

Richard Madison
09-12-2006, 1:18 AM
Pete,
We didn't need to know that she is moving out (been there, done that). Meanwhile consider locating the lathe out in the middle somewhere. You can run some wiring across the ceiling and drop down to the lathe. Table saw needs to be in the middle also, or with its right side against a wall. Consider making a scale drawing of the available space, and make a paper cutout to scale of the footprint of each tool or item that requires floor space. If necessary, find a power tool to make the paper cutouts. Move the tools around in the shop (paper cutouts on the scale drawing of the shop) to find the best locations. Think about how frequently, and in what sequence you use the various tools. For example, my lathe is in roughly the middle of the room, easy to kick shavings aside and shovel them out from both front and back of the lathe. My tool grinder is on a stand at the right end of the lathe, handy for frequent touch-ups. Wall space is gold for shelves, with workbenches and low profile tools under the shelves. And some more like that. Just some thoughts.