PDA

View Full Version : another one to the dark side

Frank Fusco
09-08-2006, 6:23 PM
I received literature today on the Nova lathes from an e-friend who resells. All looked good until I got to the tiny print at the bottom of the back page. "Made in China" So, wats new?

Ernie Nyvall
09-09-2006, 7:05 AM
Frank, after reading your thread, I'm just curious. You do know that Grizzly is mostly if not all made in China. Of course they do send their own specs, as many companies do, to have them built by.

Frank Fusco
09-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Frank, after reading your thread, I'm just curious. You do know that Grizzly is mostly if not all made in China. Of course they do send their own specs, as many companies do, to have them built by.

A lot of my shop is Grizzly. Yes, I know most, maybe all, of their stuff comes from Tiawan and mainland China. But they sell at much lower prices. Nova, I had thought, was much higher priced because it was made in Europe. China doesn't mean bad. (I won't even get into the long-term social/political impilcations) But I cry a little everytime I learn about more American (and now, European) manufacturing jobs going to the Pacific rim.

Lee DeRaud
09-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Nova, I had thought, was much higher priced because it was made in Europe.Not Austria, Australia. (Well, New Zealand, actually.) :p They are "Pacific Rim".

Frank Fusco
09-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Not Austria, Australia. (Well, New Zealand, actually.) :p They are "Pacific Rim".

On the literature: quote "China"

Lee DeRaud
09-10-2006, 1:02 PM
On the literature: quote "China"Yes, but the company is based in New Zealand: they were not European-made, AFAIK.

Richard Madison
09-11-2006, 3:02 AM
Just for reference, Chinese stuff is getting better. If you are old enough, you probably remember when various items were referred to as "cheap Japanese crap". We live in an expanding global capitalist society, and China is being dragged (maybe, kicking and screaming) into the 20th century. One hopes that their political system is being dragged similarly toward democracy.

Frank Fusco
09-11-2006, 8:53 AM
Just for reference, Chinese stuff is getting better. If you are old enough, you probably remember when various items were referred to as "cheap Japanese crap". We live in an expanding global capitalist society, and China is being dragged (maybe, kicking and screaming) into the 20th century. One hopes that their political system is being dragged similarly toward democracy.

I'm old enough and I remember. I have had cameras that were made from soda pop cans turned inside out. I also understand about the 'global society'. That doesn't mean I like it or have to. Unlikely the Chinese system will lead to democracy in the next few lifetimes. BTW, I also remember that we sold huge amounts of scrap iron and steel to the Japanese before they started the war. Today we are selling that steel to China.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-11-2006, 9:54 AM
Wait a minute here Frank, correct me if I'm wrong, but you are wanting the BEST quality product, at the CHEAPEST price made in the USA.........?

You know the old adage.........

"Quick, Good Cheap.............. Pick two....." :D

I think it you don't want to buy stuff from Asia, and you want it cheap and make in the US of A then you should REALLY look at a used unit, an old Oliver or Delta etc.

Good luck!

:D

Frank Fusco
09-11-2006, 1:23 PM
Wait a minute here Frank, correct me if I'm wrong, but you are wanting the BEST quality product, at the CHEAPEST price made in the USA.........?

You know the old adage.........

"Quick, Good Cheap.............. Pick two....." :D

I think it you don't want to buy stuff from Asia, and you want it cheap and make in the US of A then you should REALLY look at a used unit, an old Oliver or Delta etc.

Good luck!

:D

I didn't think a flaming was earned. Especially if all my posts were read. I buy the best I can at the budget available regardless of where it comes from. America has cities almost empty because of jobs lost overseas. As an American, that hurts. There is a lot of history as to why this is happening and I understand. It still hurts. And, I remember history and worry about the future.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-11-2006, 4:00 PM
I didn't think a flaming was earned. Especially if all my posts were read. I buy the best I can at the budget available regardless of where it comes from. America has cities almost empty because of jobs lost overseas. As an American, that hurts. There is a lot of history as to why this is happening and I understand. It still hurts. And, I remember history and worry about the future.

Frank if you think I was "Flaming" you, you are mistaken.

How about you read what I wrote, I'm suggesting that the best bang for your buck is in the used market, you can get one heck of a good older lathe for that kind of money, and a little paint and some TLC and you will have one you will be happy with, and will do everything you want it to.

Sorry if you took my post the wrong way, but I have no control over the way you react to my post, it was not meant as a flame.

Cheers!

Kurt Rosenzweig
09-11-2006, 4:43 PM
Come on!!! Everyone knows that Flaming doesn't happen on SMC unless you have a jar of mayo for an avatar!!! :D :D :D Be nice Andy!!!:D :D :D

Frank Fusco
09-11-2006, 5:42 PM
Frank if you think I was "Flaming" you, you are mistaken.

How about you read what I wrote, I'm suggesting that the best bang for your buck is in the used market, you can get one heck of a good older lathe for that kind of money, and a little paint and some TLC and you will have one you will be happy with, and will do everything you want it to.

Sorry if you took my post the wrong way, but I have no control over the way you react to my post, it was not meant as a flame.

Cheers!

Forgiven..