PDA

View Full Version : Robland X31 Combo Machine Details

James Longmire
09-08-2006, 4:40 PM
Hello first time here, thought I'd try this message board and see if I can get some help. Purchased my X31 machine in April 2005, didn't come with a set up manual, more of a operator's overview manual, nothing technical.

What I'd like to know is if anyone else has purchased this machine in or around the same time, and would like their views on the machines performance and how satisfied they are with it.

After a year I have yet to have mine completely set up and aligned properly, and experiencing blade runout and some distinct vibrations while using the shaper and jointer.

Have been trying to work with the company for over a year to get this issues resolved, but no luck so far, so I'm trying the message boards.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

glenn bradley
09-08-2006, 4:58 PM
This gent seems to have his up and running and supplies his email on his website. Could be a valuable resource:

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/X31.html

Chris Barton
09-08-2006, 5:02 PM
Hi James,

I have an X31 and have been very satisfied with it. If you search the forum using "X31" as your search term you should run across some updates I have posted in the past. I have no alingment problems with my machine and I purchased about the same time you did. While I haven't used my shaper function, I have extensively used the other 4 and have had nothing but success.

Larry Fox
09-08-2006, 5:05 PM
Absolutely no experience with the X31 - but welcome to the creek. Awesome site populated by very friendly and knowledgeable people.

tim rowledge
09-09-2006, 12:18 AM
I can recommend charlieB's site and charlie personally; very nice guy. I used to have an X31 (in fact I used to manufacture the sawblade height adjuster for the X31) and found it a very reasonable machine. None of the manuals were worth much but then I haven't yet found a tool with a good manual.
The sliding table works reasonably well but not as well as the more expensive 'format' sliders like on the Minimax I have these days. The jointer/thicknesser worked perfectly well in my experience, though adjusting the jointer blades was a bit of a pain. My tersa head is *much* better in that respect.
There used to be a really good x31 mail list but pretty much as soon as laguna opened their own message board it all seemed to go very quiet. Honestly, you can't lose by contacting charlie B. You'll get good advice and probably a good friend thrown in for free.

Jamie Buxton
09-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Welcome to the Creek. Also, you might find info at a Robland users group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RoblandX-31/

Bill Pentz
09-12-2006, 6:37 PM
James,

Welcome to SMC.

For sure spend some time reading over what Charlie Beldon linked to above has to say. He has spend a ton of time helping people and documenting the Robland. As Tim said, they are good machines. I've had the Robland separates for 12 years and once all tuned up they pretty much stay that way. You might also want to join the Robland X-31 group on Yahoo. That is not a very active forum, but has tons of good information and advice.

bill