PDA

View Full Version : Pest Trap Spyware Problem

Peter Stahl
09-08-2006, 4:38 PM
Anyone get Pest Trap Spyware on their PC and was able to get rid of it successfully? I tried Noadware and Windows Defender in safe mode and normal and still can't get rid of it. There is also another thing I think this spyware did was disable me from being able to change the desktop picture. This is my brother-in-laws PC, Pentium 4 with Windows XP. There are 5 user areas set up and 3 of them I can't change the desktop pictures. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

John Kain
09-08-2006, 5:57 PM
http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-pest-trap.html

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-08-2006, 7:36 PM
I got it and ended up saving all important stuff to a cd and re-installed windows XP. That cleared it right up!

Bruce

John Kain
09-08-2006, 7:42 PM
I got it and ended up saving all important stuff to a cd and re-installed windows XP. That cleared it right up!

Bruce
Bruce, I think that's some overkill. It will work alright, but I'd choose the "seek and destroy" method as noted in the link above. It would take about 5 minutes (15 minutes if you're drinking:D).

Rob Bourgeois
09-09-2006, 12:47 AM
go here:

Moderator removed direct link to another public forum - TOS violation.
Read the first things first and follow thier plans. It will work. Do rush them they are volunteers adn it may take a few days.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-09-2006, 1:09 AM
When mind caught it, no-one had a fix. Tried for three weeks, then decided to KILL IT!

Bruce

Peter Stahl
09-09-2006, 8:48 AM
http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-pest-trap.html

John, thanks I looked at that site but hadn't given it a try. I'm guessing you got rid of it on your PC with this method? Did your computer act differently while pest trap was on it?

Peter Stahl
09-09-2006, 8:51 AM

Bruce
Bruce, I was thinking the same thing and Dell support told my Brother-in-law he had a wery bad wirus and should do the same thing. I'll try a couple more things before I go that route. Thanks for the reply.

Peter Stahl
09-09-2006, 8:53 AM
go here:

Read the first things first and follow thier plans. It will work. Do rush them they are volunteers adn it may take a few days.
Rob, could you email me the link. I didn't get to it before Ken did, thanks.

Jim Becker
09-09-2006, 9:50 AM
There are times when a complete rebuild is in order, not just to remove a pest, but also to restore performance, etc., if you have loaded and removed a lot of software over time...testing before buy, etc. I tend to do this about every 12-18 months. (My work machine is due "as we speak"...)

Peter Stahl
09-10-2006, 5:47 PM
Well I think I finally got rid of PestTrap. I emailed NoAdware and they gave me some help on getting rid of it. I also ran Windows Defender, Spybot S&D and then installed AVG. With Win Defender and AVG going hopefully they won't pick up something like that again. I also went through the info in the link that John posted. Even got the background pictures back too. Thanks everyone for the help.

Charlie Velasquez
09-10-2006, 9:44 PM
go here:

Rob, would you be able to post the name of the forum so I could search it for that topic? I am not too well versed in fighting these (my computer is a mac), but I try to keep abreast because my kids like to download stuff on my wife's Dell.

Thanks.