PDA

View Full Version : Hand saw question from a turner...

Don Orr
09-08-2006, 3:24 PM
I have recently acquired a few hand saws of reasonable quality which I would like to get back in working order. I have read several web articles on cleaning and sharpening and have even tried my hand at sharpening a cheap saw I have had for a while. It came out OK, better than it was but not great. My question; is there a way to restore/enhance the etchings on some of these old saws ? I can only see that there is/was an etching on some of them and would like to be able to see what they say as to maker, etc.

Any ideas out there?
Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Mike Wenzloff
09-08-2006, 3:53 PM
As the etches are created by eating away the metal with acid, once they are cleaned/sanded to the point of parts missing, they are pretty much gone for good.

That said, sometimes if one can take a good enough picture--something hard to do--often another can recognize the maker. Too, most of the name brands had medallions which are recognizable and in the case of Disston, can help date the saw[s].

Handle shape is sometimes another clue. Especially among the better known makers.

Take care, Mike

Don Orr
09-09-2006, 9:44 AM
Thanks Mike, I appreciate the response. I had a feeling that once they are gone, they're gone.

Brett Baldwin
09-09-2006, 1:45 PM
I haven't tried it but I'm betting that using something like a fingerprint powder on the etching might bring the detail level back to recognizable if it isn't too far gone. Also, alternative lighting for pictures, and especially raking light would probably reveal more detail. Something to try if you have the means.

I've seen some pretty impressive scientific methods of identification but many are beyond the everyday capabilities of us poor woodbutchers.