PDA

View Full Version : soups and sauces

Robert Mickley
09-08-2006, 3:03 PM
It's that time of year, canning. I'm looking for a new spaghetti sauce to try. The stuff we made last year was ok but I'm shooting for more of say 5 brothers flavor sauce.

And since the 35 foot row of potaoes yilede about 65 pounds and theres 5 more rows in, Potato soup!!

And a good tomato soup. Bad as this may sound I like cambells so if I could get close to that I would be a happy camper.

John Branam
09-08-2006, 4:07 PM
That is going to make an awful lot of soup!

Michael Cody
09-08-2006, 4:49 PM
It's that time of year, canning. I'm looking for a new spaghetti sauce to try. The stuff we made last year was ok but I'm shooting for more of say 5 brothers flavor sauce.

And since the 35 foot row of potatoes yield about 65 pounds and there's 5 more rows in, Potato soup!!

And a good tomato soup. Bad as this may sound I like campbells so if I could get close to that I would be a happy camper.

Potato soup is easy...

7 quart dutch oven to cook it in.. (can go bigger, adjust portions accordingly)

Ton's of big chunked potatoes up to how many you want as long as it fits
1 small rutabaga for every pot
4-6 carrots chunked up big for color
2 quarts chicken broth for each pot full
5-6 toes of garlic - crushed & chopped for each pot full
3-4 big leeks for each pot full (trim at the green leaves, slice 1/4" thick rings)
Fill to 1/2" below top w/water..

If you like it thicker, then cook a little longer.. cook 2-3 hours till potatoes are falling apart.. it's better the longer it sits like overnight.

Make a big loaf of french bread (the Pillsbury canned stuff is OK).. make up some garlic butter to put on it..

Soup freezes well -- don't see why it won't can OK - but potatoes will mush up pretty well..

Enjoy yourself!!

Robert Mickley
09-08-2006, 5:09 PM
That is going to make an awful lot of soup!

Actually I'm not making soup out of all of it. The wife has goten canning potatos down to a science :D MAkes it great since I'm here by self most of the time and don't have time to cook a lot. You can open up a can pop them in the skillet for easy quick fried taters.

Thanks Michal, I'll have to try that it sounds good,

Joe Pelonio
09-08-2006, 5:11 PM
I can't help with the spaghetti as my wife specializes in that. I can tell you how to make another soup, this one is "Baked potato soup". It's
really fantastic.

3 tablespoons butter
1 cup finely diced green onions
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 cups chicken stock
4 large baked potatoes
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
4-6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and chopped

In a large saucepot, over medium heat melt the butter and add the green onions and garlic. Cook over medium heat until they are translucent. Add the stock and stir to combine.

Add the potatoes, and mash lightly. Add the milk, salt and peper, heat until close to boiling. Add the cheddar and stir to melt. If you want it smoother use an imersible blender or mixer at this point. Add the sour cream and bacon, stir and serve.