PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise on Ridgid Oscillating Spindle/Edge Sander??

Aaron Frank
09-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Hi all,

I have a $200 HD gift certificate that is burning a hole in my pocket and I'm thinking about the RIDGID Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander Model EB4424. It seems like a decent sander for my needs and practically free--all I have to do is pay the 6% VA sales tax.

Does anyone have this sander, and what are your thoughts on it, if you do?

Thanks
Aaron

Larry Crim
09-08-2006, 1:58 PM
Aaron
I purchased it based on the fact it had a belt sander and once I assembled it I really did not think it would meet my needs, If you want it for small stuff it will probably be sufficient but the tabel seemed a little week and I had a hard time getting it level and staying level.
I returned mine and bought the BOSS spindle sander and am very happy with it at $199 it's a hell of a sander and very stable.
Larry

Aaron Frank
09-08-2006, 2:26 PM
Thanks Larry.

Do you know whether Delta has changed the BOSS design over the past few years? IIRC, it used to be called the "Delta B. O. S. S.," but I was just looking at it on the HD website and it is now labelled, "Delta Shopmaster B.O.S.S." Perhaps there is no difference, but sometimes change in names denotes a change in design standards or durability.

With the Ridgid, was it the main table you had trouble with or the tilting portion? I don't expect to need to change the table angle all that often, but when necessary it needs to work. I currently don't have a oscillating sander, nor do I have a belt/disc sander, as I am still building my tool collection. I see the Ridgid as a good entry point, and to a lesser degree the BOSS, if I were to drill a hole in the top for a guide pin.

Thanks for your insight.

Larry Browning
09-08-2006, 2:57 PM
Arron,
I too, was looking at this Ridgid sander. I asked here and on other forums and most, if not all replies were to stay away. I seems that the spindle is not too rigid on the Ridgid. Go back to HD and push against the spindle with about as much pressure that you might use if you were sanding a piece of wood. I think you will find that it move quite a bit. Now I guess this would be fine, except that it moves on a pivot and therefore changes the angle of the spindle. This angle changes with the amount of pressure you place against it. So, it really doesn't matter how square you get the table to the spindle, you aren't going to sand anything square. Now if that won't bother you, then I'd say go ahead and get it, but I wanted something that would sand square.

chris del
09-08-2006, 3:28 PM
I purchased the grey "Made in USA" version of this sander about 4 or 5 years ago. Dont use it allot but it appears to be a good quality tool (hobbist quality).....
I would say that it is used a couple times per month and is just what the doctor ordered for my needs.
If I required a osc spindle sander daily, I would anti up and buy a industrial unit.

Geoff Harris
09-08-2006, 3:52 PM
I have this sander and it works well for what I use it for (mostly finishing cuts made by my jigsaw). I have not had any problems keeping the edges square. The table is not perfectly flat all across but it's good enough for my needs and when locked it doesn't move. The dust extraction works well, only leaving a small pile on the table top.

Geoff.

Bart Leetch
09-08-2006, 4:31 PM
I looked at Rigid & the Delta Boss they just didn't look very well made & the Delta has a small motor & the table doesn't tilt.

This is what I ended up with. Some times its better to pay a little more. I don't regret for 1 minute paying just a little more for this tool, it works great & is well made.

Joe Spear
09-08-2006, 5:38 PM
Actually, most of the replies on the various forums have been favorable about the Ridgid sander. I have had one for two years. It works well--for the price. There probably are better ones, but they cost a lot more. I haven't noticed any problems with the rigidity of the spindle. If you're not producing vast number of woodworking pieces, it is good for a home-shop situation.

John Kain
09-08-2006, 5:46 PM
You CAN order the JET spindle sander online from HD for $350 and probably haggle free shipping if you talk to a customer service rep on the telephone.

Per Swenson
09-08-2006, 7:00 PM
We have one of those.
Works great for what it is.
Let me rephrase that, I think it works wonderful fer 200 bucks.

Per

Dave Mcintire
09-09-2006, 9:48 PM
I have one that I used the heck out of. So far nothing broke but I do have some trouble with the small sanding drums slipping and the belt attachment sticking. It sticks on the shaft and makes it hard to get off. I can't figure out why the attachment sticks but haven't spent much time trying to find out, usually just beat on it till it gives up. It has served me well and I think it will continue to, but I'm not too fussy. I think its as good as you will get for the money.

Barry Richardson
09-09-2006, 10:21 PM
I have had one for about 2 years, have got my money out of it and them some. Have had no problems with it but if I did at this point I would buy another. It is excellent for the garage workshop. No issues with the table, or flexing spindles. I use the belt mode most for dressing edges and adjusting thickness on small pieces, it takes standard 4x24 belts you can get anywhere in all the common grits, and if I need to sand the inside of a curve, and dont feel like switching out to the spindles, I can usually use the curve on the end of the belt sander. Belt change takes a couple of seconds. If there is an oscilating edge sander out there that is even close to this in price, I've never heard of it. There was recently a thread for this unit on WOODNET forum which was pretty much all positive. I'm not a Ridgid guy, its the only Ridgid tool I own, I just believe you cant match this tool's capabilities for the money anywhere.

Sam Chambers
09-10-2006, 5:50 PM
I've had one of the older (gray, not orange) models. It hasn't given me any trouble, but I don't use it all that often. I read that some people had issues with the spindle not being square to the table, but mine is fine. I have had an issue finding sleeves that fit properly. The ones that Home Depot stocks are just a bit too big.

Peter M. Spirito
09-10-2006, 7:53 PM
:) I am very happy with mine.

Kelly Anderson
09-10-2006, 8:26 PM
I have one and love it, used it just the other day. I have never had any problems, the table seems about as flat as it should be, and have never had any deflection problems at all using the spindle. I would buy it agian.

Justin Dreier
09-10-2006, 10:32 PM
The ridid OSS is a good add and well worth your HD Gift certificate. I've enjoyed mine for 2 years and would buy another if it failed today. I've put it to good work and the belt sander conversion is big plus!

Kevin Blunt
09-10-2006, 11:03 PM
I own one of the older grey units and it seems to be excellent. Used it for all kinds of purposes and has never failed me. Maybe it is just me but, there was mention of the spindle being a little weak. I have never noticed this and besides, sandpaper is supposed to be allowed to work under light pressure. IMO there is no need to put all kinds of pressure on the spindle to make the sleeves cut. A light gentle pressure is all you need and you will end up with a better result anyway. FWIW

Aaron Frank
09-11-2006, 9:03 AM
Thanks to everyone that responded to my question. I had read that some people have experienced problems with the spindle flexing under load, though I was unaware of the problems with the table halfs remaining parallel.

I didn't make to the HD this weekend, too many projects in the honey-do list, but maybe one night this week I'll be able to sneak over there to get a good look at the OSS.

Aaron

Steven Wilson
09-11-2006, 6:04 PM
I use to have the Ridgid, went through a bunch of them in a futile effort to find one where the platen was square to the table over it's length. I was unsuccessful. It's a nice idea that is poorly executed.

Now, I did purchase the standalone Grizz OSS and it's a great piece of kit for the money; once you remove some of the casting slag, fix up some paint, and perform a little fileing it works well. A large diameter OSS is wonderful in the shop. I also purchased a large belt sander and it's good for some edge work (handy when you need it), but the large Grizz OSS is something worth having.

If you're looking for something small consider the Porter Cable OSS and then buy a plate so you can install it in your router table. I can see a use for a handheld OSS.

As for the Ridgid - stay very far away