PDA

View Full Version : Cordless Tool Battery Rebuilds....?

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-08-2006, 8:11 AM
OK, I have two Ryobi batteries, two Makita batteries and two Bosch batteries to be rebuilt.

A buddy is going to Vancouver Canada, soon, he will take them to Canada for me, and then when my kids to to Canada for Christmas, they will bring them back to Japan, that way, the rebuilds become affordable (and I'll have 4 functioning cordless drills! :D ).

I'm asking for recommendations for battery rebuilds, in the US or Canada, the shipping from Vancouver to where ever and back will be not that much.

I appreciate the help, as it just kills me to have three drills sitting here and not batteries to use them. Here in Japan, I can buy a new drill, with two batteries for less than one new battery costs.

Cheers!

Timo Christ
09-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Rebuilding these batteries is not that hard, i rebuilt my cousin's makita battery twice already. You need to be able to solder and get the right cells. Once you cracked (hopefully not) the battery open, why not dive into akihabara for the right cells and rebuild yourself?
T

Lincoln Myers
09-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Hi Stu,

Take a look at this thread...

There is a SMC member that does this type of work and has praise from several that have used his service.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40625&highlight=battery+rebuild

-Linc

Steve Clardy
09-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Jason Abel, a member here, has done some pc batteries for me.
Great service.

09-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Rebuilding these batteries is not that hard, i rebuilt my cousin's makita battery twice already. You need to be able to solder and get the right cells. Once you cracked (hopefully not) the battery open, why not dive into akihabara for the right cells and rebuild yourself?
T

Timo, I looked once for them, but could not find them, even in Akihabara! :eek:

Maybe I'll look again.

Thanks everyone!

Mike Shauer
09-08-2006, 10:55 AM
There are several re builder in Vancouver. I will check the Yellow pages and get back with addresses. While I have not done this yet several Buddy's have. They say the drills work better with the new type batteries.
Cheers, Mike

09-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks Mike,that would be great, my buddy's folks live in Vancouver, and when done, they would be shipped up to Kelowna, where my folks are.

Cheers!

Stan Krupowies
09-08-2006, 11:45 AM
What is 'akihabara'? Is that a location or a web page? I've got some Makita batteries that could stand a rebuild.

Thanks

Mike Shauer
09-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Stu, I phoned a couple of places and they tell me its cheaper to buy new drills with batteries. $80. to rebuild my 19.2 volt. Sears has them on sale for $120.00 with two batteries. I will phone one of my buddies tonite that had his rebuilt and see where he had it done. Cheers

09-08-2006, 11:52 AM
What is 'akihabara'? Is that a location or a web page? I've got some Makita batteries that could stand a rebuild.

Thanks

Sorry about that, a little "In Japan" lingo going on.

Akihabara is the "Electronics Shopping" District in Tokyo, they say if it is made or was ever made and has to do with electrics, it will be for sale SOMEWHERE in Akihabara.

Cheers!

Oh Mike, I really appreciate the effort.! :)

Randy Meijer
09-09-2006, 4:04 AM
Stu, I phoned a couple of places and they tell me its cheaper to buy new drills with batteries. $80. to rebuild my 19.2 volt. Sears has them on sale for $120.00 with two batteries. I will phone one of my buddies tonite that had his rebuilt and see where he had it done. Cheers

I found that to be true for the lower to moderately priced drills as well. Just got a quote from a local battery rebuilder here in Dallas and it was $55 for an 18V, 2000 MAH rebuild. Just not worth it for many modestly priced tools that many non-professionals use at home. Now, if you have a multi-hundred dollar commercial grade tool, the economics may be entirely different??