PDA

View Full Version : Amazon shipping

Nick Clayton
09-08-2006, 8:02 AM
Has anyone ever had good luck with the shipping from Amazon with anything other than books? I ordered a mortiser and when it arrived the packaging was pristine, but when i opened it...........
46436 :eek: 46437

This happened when I ordered a DC from them as well. Am I being singled out or should I stick to buying my books from them

Bob Childress
09-08-2006, 8:07 AM
Nick,

I think you are being picked on.:p I have ordered numerous tools (clamps, power tools, etc.) from Amazon and never had a single problem. I know there have been other posts here about Amazon shipping problems, especially with certain clamps, but I've never experienced any difficulties at all. Maybe I'm just lucky.:confused:

J. Scott Chambers
09-08-2006, 8:10 AM
I have not had a problem yet, but I haven't opened the jigsaw and blades that came in yesterday. Which mortiser did you buy? Several people have had problems with the Delta version being damaged.

Russ Massery
09-08-2006, 8:12 AM
Same here never a problem. And I have made several orders through them.

Sam Chambers
09-08-2006, 8:12 AM
I think you're just a bit unlucky, Nick. I've ordered several things from them, and haven't had a single problem with shipping damage.

I know it's a pain, but I'm sure they'll make it good.

Aaron Beaver
09-08-2006, 8:18 AM
I have had a few roughed up packages on clamps and some storage wire racks but nothing was damaged on the inside.

Nick Clayton
09-08-2006, 8:26 AM
Bob, I think they're picking on me too. It's probably when they see that I'm from the northeast they open the package and clunk the contents with a mallet:rolleyes:

Actually they took 20% off the price of the DC, but that was because I decided to keep it. This is obviously different as it's not simply banged up, but broken. I was very impressed with their customer service when I had the last issue. It's just a little cumbersome lugging around 70lbs of mortiser to ship back.

J. Scott, it is the Delta 14-651. Being that my DC was a Delta 50-850 I believe you and others may be on to something with the Delta curse;)

Bartee Lamar
09-08-2006, 8:26 AM
My mortiser was delivered ok, but I have seen several threads over the past couple of years about mortisers being broken is shipment.

It is just bad packageing. The have heavy cast parts and do not seem to get supported correctly in shipping.

Dave Richards
09-08-2006, 8:50 AM
Never a problem here. Tablesaw, 16" bandsaw, floor standing drill press, 2 routers all showed up looking great.

scott spencer
09-08-2006, 9:08 AM
I've literally had dozens of packages arrive successfully from Amazon in the past couple of years. The only issue ever was a lost package from Fedex and Amazon overnighted a replacement, plus let me keep the original when it finally arrived 3 weeks later.

John Headley
09-08-2006, 9:19 AM
There was a big sale at Amazon a few months ago on the Delta Mortiser with the metal bed. Alot of woodworkers took advantage of the sale on other forums. I remember a post about the higher than normal % of broken castings. It was determined that the packaging was totally inadequate to protect the castings. If that's a Delta, that might be the problem. Amazon did try to make it right, but after some received 2 or 3 that were broken, they just gave up and got their money back.

Larry Fox
09-08-2006, 9:21 AM
My mortiser that I ordered from them arrived in pretty much the same condition as yours. I had to go through the return process and it went pretty smoothly. Still anoying though. FWIW - if it is the Delta mortiser (can't tell from the picture) - I think there is something fundamentally wrong with the way that they package it as it seems to be a consistent problem.

Rob Bodenschatz
09-08-2006, 9:22 AM
I've bought several thousand dollars worth of tools from them and I've had very few problems, if any. The Besseys I ordered were not packed very well but Bessey acknowledged that it was their fault, not Amazon's. I've have one or two packages go to never never land but Amazon was always quick to send a replacement. Even though it was the carrier's fault.

I think you've just had a run of bad luck. If there's anything wrong with the item, contact them. They'll make it right.

Steve Clardy
09-08-2006, 10:12 AM
No problems here

Kevin Murdock
09-08-2006, 1:21 PM
I also bought a delta cast bottom mortiser from amazon about 3 years ago.

It was broken as well in shipping and I needed to return it. Went smooth once I emailed them photos.

Bought somewhere else.

I've bought a very large percentage of my tools from Amazon and have only had one other shipping damage problem. Someone in the Amazon warehouse thought that the plastic airbags they use to fill the voids in the boxes would be enough to hold a 5000 count box of 16 Ga nails (very small size/weight ratio) in an oversized (for the box of nails) Amazon box. Needless to say, that heavy box of nails blew out the airbags in the first truck trip and then proceeded to crumble apart for the rest of the journey. Given that it was only about an $8 worth of goods in the box, I got quite a chuckle out of the package state when I found it on my doorstep.

But again, I'm looking at ~2% shipping failure rate... so I'm cool with that and buy from them all the time.

I'm suprised that 3 years later, they (Delta) still haven't fixed the mortiser packaging problem... I'm sure it's hurting someone's bottom line.

/Kevin

Mike Henderson
09-08-2006, 1:29 PM
I've bought a bunch of stuff from Amazon and have not had any problems.

One time, I had a package stolen from my front porch (I'm pretty sure it was stolen). Originally, I didn't know it was stolen and thought it might have been delivered to the wrong address. I contacted Amazon for help in tracking it and they shipped me a new product at no charge.

Later, I talked to the UPS guy and he rememebered delivering the package so I think it was stolen.

I have nothing but good things to say about Amazon.

Mike

Allen Boynton
09-09-2006, 2:06 AM
I, too, have ordered a lot of items from Amazon with no problems......UNTIL yesterday. I needed a replacement bit for my Kreg Pocket Jig and ended up ordering the mini Kreg Jig Kit only because it was only two bucks more than the bit by itself.
Anyway, yesterday I picked up the package (what was left of it) at the Post Office.(all other orders have been UPS) It was shipped in a 6x9 inch box with one air pillow for padding. The bottom of the package had broken open and the item must have fallen out somewhere along the way....nothing in box but invoice.
Called customer service as soon as I got home and explained what happened. NO problem, they shipped out a replacement today..no questions asked.
The Bessey clamps that I ordered from them during big sale arrived safe and sound...even though the box was way to big for the clamps and was pretty beaten up.

Allen