PDA

View Full Version : Removing construction adhesive?

Keel McDonald
09-08-2006, 7:54 AM
I am going to put in a doorway to a new deck I just completed. I am trying to find a way to remove the "hearth" area underneath the tile so I can have the door open into the room (towards the camera). The door will go where the unfinished drywall is. We used to have a potbelly stove sitting on the tile. It (1/4" ply) was glued down with construction adhesive, then screwed, then tiled over the top. I have no problem removing the tile, but is there a way to remove the 1/4" plywood sub-base? The oak hardwood floor was in place first. The construction adhesive was placed between the hardwood floor and 1/4" plywood. Thanks for any help.

Joe Pelonio
09-08-2006, 8:35 AM
That's a messy job. I have done it but it was years ago. Without knowing what adhesive was used makes it more difficult. Sometimes denatured alcohol will soften adhesives but you have to at least pry up an edge to get some in there, wait a few minutes then pry some more an put some further in. Unfortunately D.A. is highly flammable so don't have any flames nearby. The best thing is to pry off the wood first then soften and scrape the adhesive but often the wood you are removing or worse yet the subfloor will splinter apart.

Keel McDonald
09-08-2006, 8:40 AM
I wonder if heat would help (i.e. heat gun to the plywood while prying up gently)?

Jim O'Dell
09-08-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm thinking that this will probably be a (long and tiring) job for a hammer and wood chisel, unfortuately. You will then have to fill in any gouges into the subfloor material, but that shouldn't be a problem. Good luck. Sounds like a hard days work. Jim.

Frank Chaffee
09-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Keel,
Especially if you are able to see and hopefully remove the screws holding the plywood to the hardwood floor, then saw kerfs from a circular saw could reduce the sheet to either strips or squares, allowing easier access for chiseling and prying.

Another approach could be to hog out the entire sheet with a router, leaving only the glue to remove with solvent and scrapers.

Frank

Keel McDonald
09-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Keel,
Especially if you are able to see and hopefully remove the screws holding the plywood to the hardwood floor, then saw kerfs from a circular saw could reduce the sheet to either strips or squares, allowing easier access for chiseling and prying.

Another approach could be to hog out the entire sheet with a router, leaving only the glue to remove with solvent and scrapers.

Frank

Frank, I hadn't thought of that (router idea). I really like that idea because the oak floor under the plywood is already finished. I realize that some damage may occur, but I'd really rather not do any more damage than I have to.