PDA

View Full Version : Drumsander making money

Bobby Hatfield
10-08-2003, 10:53 PM
Well it's going, even though dust collection is temporary. Its first job, a doughboard and tabletop. Donut time at the bakery, they sold 40 dozen plus lots of other goodies the first morning upon reopening without any more advertisement than an open sign. This picture shows a maple panel that will be a doughboard table to hold 50# of dough for some part of the operation, cutting board for globs of dough going through the rolling machine I think. Also here is the Woodmaster 5075 50" drum sander on its first job, a 36" maple panel. I took it easy the first passes but increased depth (will check how much when I install the indicator) untill it was starting to sound like it was working about right, sure it will take a much bigger bite.

Carl Eyman
10-09-2003, 8:40 AM
I'd love to have one of those! Not doing work for hire I can't come close to justifying it. But I'm jealous. Luckily there is a cabinet shop in town that will do work for hire; so I can use them when necessary. Carl

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Now I know where I can go for my next table top..!!!!!!! I have GOT to get me a sander like that. I really like the Performax 16/32 that I have but when it comes to serious stuff.....the woodmaster is tops.

Congrats Bobby on the new sander....

Steve Clardy
10-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Could you post a pic of the outfeed side? Would really like to see if theres actually bills or coins coming out of there. I can't seem to get any of them out of mine. :D :D :D
Steve

Glenn Clabo
10-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Bobby sent a PM to me with this picture of his dust collector can looks like...

Alan Turner
10-09-2003, 12:53 PM
Bobby,
A question if I could. I have an old (1988) 37" Kuster single drum sander, and the paper changes are difficult and slow. So, I talked to Woodmaster, and they use a velcro design of attaching the paper. So, I ordered some velcro, and H&L paper, from them, and it is in the basement, but as yet unused.
I would be interested in your comments on the use of tape at the ends of the drum, how tight you have to wrap the abrasive roll, and the "first pass" issue, where you put a board through at an angle, so it is full width, to take up the inital slack. This way, when I do install it, I can get closer to right the first time.
Thanks so much for the help, and contrats on your new toy! I use mine just about only for veneer work, where I cut my own veneers, and then flatten them, and after glue up, flatten and thin out the panel/top/whatever. Originally I tried to use it as an abrasive planer, but after the third mortgage I gave the abrasives company went into default, I got a planer, so the Kuster is a big but not oft used blue whale.
Alan

Steve Clardy
10-09-2003, 2:29 PM

I knew he had a goldmine somewhere!!!!! Guess I'm heading to Arkansas early!!!!!!! Thanks Glenn.
:D

Bobby Hatfield
10-09-2003, 4:43 PM
Bobby,
A question if I could. I have an old (1988) 37" Kuster single drum sander, and the paper changes are difficult and slow. So, I talked to Woodmaster, and they use a velcro design of attaching the paper.
Alan

Alan, I have not changed the paper yet but it looks easy, just cut the paper at the starting end, at the angle required, start it one round, tape the beginning with some fibre tape, complete the wrap, trim and start sanding, it only has tape wrap at the start. It sounds like trouble but it worked, came from the factory like that. I guess it only wraps tighter in use. I have Zacks 16" Grizzly torn down to put the velcro on it when time allows, I believe the velcro will save lots of paper. I don't think there will be a slack issue with the velcro and the first piece through the sander was a narrow board, straight through not at an angle, no slack.

Alan Turner
10-09-2003, 5:07 PM
Bobby,
Super. Thanks for the reply. Maybe it will be less bothersome than I thought. Have fun with the new toy. BTY, what grit(s) are you running. I generally ran 100 or 120, as the finer grits loaded so fast it wasn't worth the trouble, esp. after I got a ROS.
Alan

Bobby Hatfield
10-10-2003, 10:26 AM

Glenn, sent the wrong pic. Should be this one, the profit.

Phil Phelps
10-12-2003, 8:57 AM
Bobby, in the pic, it appears that there is one port for the DC. I have a 2 hp DC on mine and have three ports. What's on the other end of your port?

Jason Roehl
10-12-2003, 9:26 AM
Nice try, Glenn. But, you should have known you wouldn't get that pic by all the hawks here. Bobby just got his drumsander, and the bills in your pic are all "old" style.... :D

Just saw the news the other day, too. Now the bills will have some color on them to boot.

Bobby Hatfield
10-12-2003, 10:02 AM
Bobby, in the pic, it appears that there is one port for the DC. I have a 2 hp DC on mine and have three ports. What's on the other end of your port?

Phil the sander has only one 5" port, connected to a flat enclosed funnel, the length of the drum, that extends down to the very point the dust comes off the material and sandpaper while being sanded. I believe this is what makes the Woodmaster sanders not have sandpaper problems, it collects the dust at the point its made and never has a chance to stick to the paper.
I only have a Dayton blower w/1-1/2hp motor on an Oneida cyclone and at least 20' of 4" hose connected now, I plan to move the collector and enlarge to 6" metal pipe to the sander later. On the same bag plentum I plan to add my 2hp Griz blower with another Oneida cyclone for machines in the other end of the shop, I never use more than one machine at a time anyway, I hope it does the job, if not its time for a single 5hp blower.

Bobby Hatfield
10-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Bobby,
Super. Thanks for the reply. Maybe it will be less bothersome than I thought. Have fun with the new toy. BTY, what grit(s) are you running. I generally ran 100 or 120, as the finer grits loaded so fast it wasn't worth the trouble, esp. after I got a ROS.
Alan

Alan, I am still using what came on it, 100 grit I think, no problem with loading at all, hope it is the same with finer grits, it came with paper already on the drum, and with three rolls of other grit.