PDA

View Full Version : Bought the Craftsman 22144 and have a few questions

Charles Green
09-07-2006, 11:32 PM
I changed my mind about getting the Grizzly 1023 after seeing the craftsman in person and being able to get it for $630 + tax.

I got it all together tonight and had a few kinks.

1. Bought the Sears Mobile Base and it seems like my saw still has a little rocking motion when all the wheels are locked down. Does everyone use the levelers when using the mobile base or not? It seems almost like the base flexes a little. It said it would hold up to 600 lbs. It moves around fine but I am not satisfied with the sturdiness on the ground.

2. The Beisemeyer fence has a little shim that came off of the fence. The fence will not lock in place. It appears the shim was glued to the fence and when I manually put it in there it will lock down on top of it. Is there a good glue to reattach it? Is this normal with this fence?

3. My saw will not run with the extension cord I used for my old saw. It is a heavy duty 10 gauge? maybe cord. It still works with all my other tools just not this one. It only took me about 30 minutes to try a different extension cord even though the old one would work with every thing else. I thought I had a broken saw for a while.

Thanks to everyone that suggested this saw. I used it for some crosscuts and it is so quiet and smooth cutting. It felt as smooth as a cabinet saw for light cuts at least. Haven't put any 2" stock through it yet.

I appreciate the help.

glenn bradley
09-08-2006, 12:11 AM
I haven't got mine off the pallet yet and it doesn't look like I'll get a chance till Sunday. I've had a mobile base on my other saws and never did move them so I plan to skip the wheels on this one.

My previous mobile bases were solid as a rock once the leveling feet were set on the saw. Double check that it's the base that's rocking and not the saw itself. If it's the Sears mobile base, I'd ask for an exchange just to be sure it's not the base.

I would also go for an exchange on the Bies. I have read some reports about their quality control slipping a bit. I will be looking mine over VERY carefully and it will be right before I'm satisfied and I recommend you set the same expectation for your fence.

We may have got them at a good price thanks to the Labor day sale, Crafstman club discount, etc. but that doesn't mean we have to settle for anything other than a saw that is everything it is supposed to be.

The extension cord is confusing. Does it exceed the recommended length as stated in the manual? If its 10 feet long or so, I would think 12 ga. should be more than adequate.

Enjoy your saw. I hope to be enjoying mine soon ;-)

glenn bradley
09-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Check the manual and it 'looks' like a 14 ga should be fine up to 20 feet or so.

Charles Green
09-08-2006, 7:16 AM
I didn't know an extension cord that was heavier than recommended wouldn't work at all.

No big deal though.

Good luck with your set up when you get it going. Those extension wings are heavy!