PDA

View Full Version : Japanese tools

Mike Henderson
09-07-2006, 8:23 PM
Someone offered to sell me a set of Japanese chisels but neither he nor I know anything about the chisels. Attached are a couple of pictures of some writing on the box. If anyone can read the kanji, please tell me whether it says, "Cheap big box tools, made in China", or "Decent quality tools". Or...???

Thanks, Mike

Mark Singer
09-07-2006, 9:40 PM
Mike as you know the quality eally varies....a good chisel that is handmade may take 3 hours and more for the handle.... Others claim to be handmade and are factory made and not nearly as fine...Oh and my Japanese is weak:confused: I think it is a sushi knife box:rolleyes:

Mike Henderson
09-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Oh and my Japanese is weak:confused: I think it is a sushi knife box:rolleyes:
My Japanese is a lot weaker than yours. I don't have a clue what it says.

The box is custom made for the chisels so I'd be surpirsed by the sushi reference unless someone modified a sushi knife box for the chisels. Let's see if a native Japanese speaker replies.

Mike

Frank Desaulniers
09-07-2006, 10:31 PM
It says
"Property of Frank.
Please affix sufficient postage."

Maybe Dave Burnard can tell us more.

harry strasil
09-07-2006, 10:45 PM
How about made in Mexico, assembled in Japan.

Doug Shepard
09-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Gee - and I thought it was Japanese for WalMart:D . Ya learn all kinds of things here.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Mike, the big seal on the box says "Betsu Atsurae Oiri Nomi", which would translate to "Special Order".

Betsu mean seperate, Atsurai means like added later, Oiri would be in or put in, and you know Nomi is chisel in Japanese

In the second pic, you have the company, and the smith's name

The bit on the top, just shows the company is an officially registered company with the Japanese government, the one on the right side, is really just advertising, saying they are "Real" smiths.

The company name is on the left and the Chisel's smith's name is front and center.

Sorry, I do not know that much about this particular brand and or smith.

Cheers!

PS, I've not gone native yet, but my lovely wife is! (thank her for the finer details)

09-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Oh yeah.................... A pic of the lousy stinking box...........?

We want to see the chisels!!!!!!!!!! :D

Ken Bryant
09-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Hmm... If it were me, I'd ask for a trial run. If the chisels sharpen well and cut well and feel good in the hand... (If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck)...

Mike Henderson
09-07-2006, 11:17 PM
I've not gone native yet, but my lovely wife is! (thank her for the finer details)
Stu - please give my thanks to your lovely wife. I really appreciate her, and your, help.

Attached is a picture of the chisels.

Now, another question - how much do you think I should offer him for the chisels. I think he'd be very happy with $100. Think that's fair on both sides?

Mike

09-07-2006, 11:32 PM
$10 a chisel?

Yeah, I'd say that was a good price :D

Mike Henderson
09-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks, Stu. I'll make him an offer and let you know how it turns out.

Mike

harry strasil
09-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Kind of funny with all the stuff made in Japan and China nowadays, I have a Mititoyo Micrometer that says made in Brazil. LOL. It's supposed to be one of their top brands too.

09-08-2006, 3:01 AM
Kind of funny with all the stuff made in Japan and China nowadays, I have a Mititoyo Micrometer that says made in Brazil. LOL. It's supposed to be one of their top brands too.

Yep, I hear you, recently bought a Panasonic cordless drill, and it was made in Malaysia, but the batteries say made in Taiwan, and I'm in Japan!

The Brazil thing makes a lot of sense, Japan and Brazil have a lot of ties, back in the 1920s (if memory serves) a ton of Japanese moved to Brazil, so they have had business and cultural ties there for a long time. Must be cheaper to set up shop in Brazil than Japan, also easier to find young workers.

Cheers!

Steve Evans
09-08-2006, 7:17 AM
Brazil has the largest Japanese population of any country outside of Japan.

Steve

09-08-2006, 7:27 AM
I hope you get them Mike, I'm sure you will be pleased with them, I very much like mine. Mine are mostly OLD ones.

They worked out great for the dovetails I've been cutting, not that non-Japanese chisels are bad, just I like the Japanese ones too.

Cheers!