PDA

View Full Version : Microscope for kids

Dan Stuewe
09-07-2006, 7:30 PM
My soon to be 8 year old asked for a microscope for her birthday. Any suggestions on one (I would love to stay under $100)?

Thanks,

Rob Bourgeois
09-07-2006, 8:00 PM
dont get a "toy"..he will get frustrated and never use it.

I was given a all plastic toy microscope when i was about that age..couldnt focus on anything. Pure trash. Never used it adn dint look in to a microscope till college. My parents also did the same thing with a telescope. It wasnt until i bought a good one as an adult that I actually believe you could see Saturns rings.

Try looking in Edmond scientific.

here is a link. http://scientificsonline.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_421190

Chuck Saunders
09-07-2006, 8:08 PM
I ordered the Digital Blue QX5 Computer Microscope from JourneyEd.com.
It is a USB microscope that displays on the computer screen. Pretty clever for $80
Chuck

Jim Becker
09-07-2006, 8:52 PM
I also recommend the non-toy if the child is reasonably responsible. I had a nice one when I was a youngster and it brought years of enjoyment. Made of metal, even... ;)

Ken Werner
09-09-2006, 7:05 AM
If you can find a dissecting microscope, it is a great way to introduce a child to microscopy. It has magnification between about 10 and 40, so it is easier to make the conceptual transition between the seen and unseen worlds. You might find one at a university/college surplus sale. A dissecting scope also has the advantage at being super for fishing out slivers. Good luck.
Ken

Wes Bischel
09-09-2006, 11:58 AM
Dan,

This info via LOML (also known as Dr. Bischel - she uses compound microscopes and a SEM etc. in her daily work - around $80k worth of mocroscopes - and she has done some teaching in the past as well) - says Fisher is a good name - also 5-40x is a good range. There are a number of models under $100

https://www1.fishersci.com/Search?t=r&key=scied+microscopes&list=scied+microscopes&s.x=16&s.y=9

She mentioned the old Gilbert kits have good optics and are very durable - they can be found on eBay.
Another thing to consider is getting a full kit so she has the ability to make/mount her own slides - follow her interests.
An alternative or starter would be a field microscope like this:
http://shopping.discovery.com/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?endecaSID=10D9339170B6&langId=-1&storeId=10000&productId=59454&catalogId=10000
This would be much more agile and allow her to take it outside and would not necessitate making up the slides.
I had a project in school to design a student microscope. When interviewing techs at a repair facility (for backround info) the biggest issue (damage) was the scopes being knocked over and damaging the eyepiece. So if looking for a used microscope, make sure the top end doesn't have damage.

Good luck - oh, and it's great to see parents willing to encourage their children's interests!

Wes

Rick Gibson
09-09-2006, 12:45 PM
All I can say is get a good one. My father bought me a Tasco when I was about that age - I turn 60 in December and I still have it. Goes from 80 to 1200 power magnification by changing the top eyepiece and rotating the bottom lenses. My kids used it and my grandkids like to use it when they visit.