PDA

View Full Version : Another Shot at the Clock

Mac McAtee
10-08-2003, 9:12 PM
The design is from Wood Magazine, November 2002, Issue 145. Page60. Called a Mission-Style Shelf Clock.

The magazine calls for quarter sawn White Oak. I made one from that and then this one from Birds Eye Maple and an unknown tropical hardwood.

Finish is a wipe on oil base finish, two coats and then a good rub down with natural Buffalo Wax.

I hope this picture shows the wood grain a little more clearly.

Mac McAtee
10-08-2003, 9:15 PM
I hope this picture shows the wood grain a little more clearly.[/QUOTE]

I sure have a lot to learn about preparing digital photos for posting on web sites. The thing still came out a little fuzzy but better than before.

Jim Becker
10-08-2003, 10:12 PM
I sure have a lot to learn about preparing digital photos for posting on web sites. The thing still came out a little fuzzy but better than before.

Check to see if you have a "sharpen" filter in your photo program to restore detail after you resize the photo to display on the web. Do this on the "new" file, not your original as the process can cause problems if used multiple times on the same photo. The sharpen filter should always be used last when you save a reduced size picture.

And by the way...the clock is still awesome. I made the an earlier design out of 100 year old white oak a friend in Leesburg VA gave me. The Mission design is very pleasing on the eye. Your version of the newer design is outstanding with the nice contrast you built in.

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-09-2003, 8:01 AM
Good looking clock...where does the movement come from? I've been keeping my eyes open for a nice Mission-type small clock. Not sure why I overlooked that one when the WOOD mag came around. Did you change it at all?

KC

Mac McAtee
10-09-2003, 8:15 AM
[QUOTE=Kirk (KC) Constable]Good looking clock...where does the movement come from? I've been keeping my eyes open for a nice Mission-type small clock. Not sure why I overlooked that one when the WOOD mag came around. Did you change it at all?

Kirk,
The source of the movement and also there is a small piece of mica that is an accent behind the grill is in the magazine article. I am at work now and won't be able to look it up till I get home. If you can find the article it is there. I have looked at other sources for clock movements and haven't found that exact one else were but I suspect that it can be had from someone besides the source in the magazine. I have seen sheets of bronze color mica in some ww supply catalog lately, like Rockler or one of the other biggies.

Post again here if you, or anyone for that matter wants me to post the name and phone number of the source of the hardware. Other than the clock works, battery and 2" X 3": sheet of bronze mica it is all wood and glue. It is small enough that you can use off cuts to make it. It also give you a chance to use those small scraps of highly figured wood that everyone has in the bucket at the end of the workbench.

Mac McAtee
10-09-2003, 8:19 AM
Check to see if you have a "sharpen" filter in your photo program to restore detail after you resize the photo to display on the web. Do this on the "new" file, not your original as the process can cause problems if used multiple times on the same photo. The sharpen filter should always be used last when you save a reduced size picture.

Jim,
Ah Ha! I'll give it a try. I messed with the "sharpen" feature before I shrunk. The other thing is that I am using software that you get bundled with a camera. I have been thinking about springing for that Adobe program, can't remember the name right now, that costs around $100 to up grade to something better.
Thanks for the tip.
Mac

Mac McAtee
10-09-2003, 8:25 AM
Kirk,
I made no changes from the design in the magazine article, other than those needed to cover for my errors. Except the choice of wood. The first one I built I used quarter sawn White Oak and fumed it with ammonia. It does make a very pleasing color to the wood. I found the hardest part of making it was drilling the 2 3/8" hole for the works to fit in. I used a fly cutter in the drill press and am always uneasy about all those parts and pieces flying around right in front of me. If I were going to build a few more I'd get a Forstner bit for the hole, I think they do make one that size.

Jim Becker
10-09-2003, 6:38 PM
Ah Ha! I'll give it a try. I messed with the "sharpen" feature before I shrunk. The other thing is that I am using software that you get bundled with a camera. I have been thinking about springing for that Adobe program, can't remember the name right now, that costs around $100 to up grade to something better.If you sharpen before you "shrink", you're re-reducing (if that is a word...) the detail.

Adobe Photoshop Elements is a "most excellent" program...and about $79 from Amazon. When I bought it, there was a $30 "competitive" rebate, too. I don't know if it's still in effect.

Mac McAtee
10-10-2003, 10:43 AM
Adobe Photoshop Elements is a "most excellent" program...and about $79 from Amazon. When I bought it, there was a $30 "competitive" rebate, too. I don't know if it's still in effect.[/QUOTE]

Jim,
Went to Amazon and between a discounted selling price and $30 rebate it came out to around $55 with shipping cost paid. Needless to say, it is on order. Thank's for the tip.
Mac