PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw recommendations

Scott Sallyards
09-07-2006, 3:38 PM
I have a table top bandsaw and it just does not get the job done. I feel that there are certain projects that I just can't do because of this. This is one tool I need to upgrade. I'm looking to spend between $500 - $1,000. I would like to purchase one that will provide good resawing. I have looked through the web and there are many choices so I thought I would ask fellow woodworkers for there opinions.

tod evans
09-07-2006, 3:53 PM
welcome scott! in the price bracket you give i`d suggest looking at used stuff if you want to resaw.... there are saws with the "ability" to resaw in your price bracket new but if you intend on sawing more than a couple boards on a weekend your dollars will be better spent on used equipment...02 tod

J. Scott Chambers
09-07-2006, 4:09 PM
Don't forget to save some for new blades.

Frank Fusco
09-07-2006, 5:00 PM
The Grizzly G0514X (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0514X) at $1095.00 has a reputation of being a real working hoss. Of course, like Tod says, depends on how much resawing you will be doing. A used 3000 pound monster might be what you need.

lou sansone
09-07-2006, 6:30 PM
if you have access to 3 phase, used bandsaws of the industrial style may be an option

lou

Tony Falotico
09-07-2006, 7:06 PM
I recently went with the JET 18" at a little over your budget figure. IMO I would save a little more $$ and go with a Jet, Rikon or Delta 18" before considering a 14" with riser block, especially if resaw is your main objective. Or as stated above, look for a nice used one (they are somewhat hard to find in the Southeast) I've successfully re-sawn 10" hard maple on the Jet, and it's the smallest motor of the three.. Just my opinion, others may differ......

Scott Sallyards
09-07-2006, 9:25 PM
I guess I overstated my intention, I will not be resawing a lot but when I do I would like one that works well (a good fence, minimal blade marks, easy setup).

Scott

Jeff Horton
09-07-2006, 9:55 PM
I am very partial to old machines but that's not everyone cut of tea. Because I couldn't find an old one in my area I ended up with Grizzly G0555. Someday I hope to find a large old one, but this is great saw and is well within you budget range. I added the riser block and some Timberwolf blades. Took me a while to learn to use and set it up but now I really like this saw. Might be something you want to look at. It always gets good reviews.

Joe Mioux
09-07-2006, 10:35 PM
I don't know the model number but Grizzly has that 17 inch model that sells in the mid $700's, tack on shipping, some blades and you are entering th $900's.

Everyone that has that BS seems to like it very well.

Joe

Alan DuBoff
09-08-2006, 1:47 AM
I have the Jet 18X which I like a lot, but I do plan to do as Jeff and replace it with an old saw eventually. I also prefer that cup 'o tea that ain't for everyone. :D

I like the Jet though, it's a decent machine.

Frank Fusco
09-08-2006, 10:15 AM
I guess I overstated my intention, I will not be resawing a lot but when I do I would like one that works well (a good fence, minimal blade marks, easy setup).

Scott

In that case, Grizzly.
With my smaller G0555, I frequently resaw 6" osage orange. Hard stuff, saw doesn't blink or breath hard.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Resawing anytning wider than 6" is going to take some horspower. It'll also require a very solid and accurate set of guides and the upper guide needs to be dead & solid on in all positions.
I suspect that you may end up spending more than a grand.

Hells bells you can't get a decent Queen size mattress for a grand any more. Context context.

Lincoln Myers
09-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Take a look at this one in the Woodworkers Classifieds section on SMC.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42508

Not sure how close you are to it, but looks like a nice setup.

-Linc

Frank Fusco
09-08-2006, 2:21 PM
Take a look at this one in the Woodworkers Classifieds section on SMC.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42508

Not sure how close you are to it, but looks like a nice setup.

-Linc

Six years used and more than a new G0555.

tod evans
09-08-2006, 2:23 PM
geeze frank three plugs for griz in the same thread that`s gotta be a record:eek:

Hal Flynt
09-08-2006, 6:46 PM
Ok lets even it out and add to the confusion. I love my Rikon with a Woodslicer blade.

Reg Mitchell
09-08-2006, 8:46 PM
could we talk you into one of these.....http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/male_man/myrtelwoodtbltop182.jpg
$900 and very sturdy
Reg :)