PDA

View Full Version : Work gloves!

Bill Grumbine
09-07-2006, 2:13 PM
This is sort of off topic, but it has to deal with a lot of the outside work I do involving wood - firewood, turning wood, etc. I am on my last pair of work gloves designed for winter use, and they have numerous holes in them. I will do well if they last me into the middle of the fall season, much less through another winter.

Why not go buy some more you say? I will tell you why. There aren't any to be had around here! I have been in almost every hardware store, home center, big box store, Tractor Supply, so on and so forth looking for work gloves. There are two problems. The first and the biggest is, people don't seem to think that there are people with large hands on this planet. Second, the buyers for the stores around here must think work gloves of any size should be flimsy rubber or cloth, maybe for keeping the dirt from getting under the user's manicured nails while moving some potting soil around the garden. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Does anyone here have a source for real gloves made of real leather for real big hands? I would dearly love to find some. I would be happy for summer weight right about now. They don't seem to be around in my size either, unless someone makes a mistake with their sewing machine and makes a pair oversized.

Thanks.

Bill

Ken Fitzgerald
09-07-2006, 2:21 PM
Bill...........I'm 6' 1"...........250 lbs..........I wear a large hat and have large hands.....I don't know how my hand size compares to yours but I wear LARGE gloves. The leather ones I using right now have an adjustable strap across the back and a little bit of an open cuff that goes up the wrist. I also have some insulated winter ones that I wear. Is that what you are looking for?

Wes Bischel
09-07-2006, 2:28 PM
Bill,

I've had good luck with everything I have ordered from Duluth Trading - never gloves though. The gloves are expensive, but looks like they might have what you are looking for - and size.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/?processor=content&asp_processor=&action=nopost&p_keyword=&p_contenttype=&sectionpath=1/23/85&pageid=70&categoryid=&categoryname=&filter=&pg=0

If nothing else, it might give a brand to search on.

Good luck,

Wes

Marion Rood
09-07-2006, 2:50 PM
http://tinyurl.com/r32rx

Aerostich Elkskin Ropers. Good company to deal with.
You don't have any farm supply stores nearby?

Frank Fusco
09-07-2006, 3:10 PM
Am I allowed to say "Wal-Mart" here? Nobody's shot me yet. ;)
Wal-Mart is where I have always bought mine.

Bill Grumbine
09-07-2006, 3:17 PM
Thanks guys. For those who have not met me, it is a little hard to describe myself. I'm not unusually tall - 6' 2", and even that is if I stretch, since I seem to be getting shorter now. Last time I checked I tipped the scale at 400 lbs. People ask me who I played pro football for.

I wear a size 8 hat most of the time, 7 7/8 the rest of the time. Boot size varies, but 15 is the norm. Gloves? Large won't even come close to getting onto my hand most of the time. Even the XL ones I have found on rare occasion are hard to fit.

Yeah Frank, I go to Walmart too, and their gloves don't fit me either.

Barry Stratton
09-07-2006, 3:51 PM
I'll look around up here in the frozen north for "monster" leather gloves this weekend if you'd like. Lots of "large" types up here as well working in the oil fields - helps make it thru the 6-7 month winters:eek: How wide are your palms? and I'm guessing you are looking for insulated......

Bob Oswin
09-07-2006, 3:57 PM
This is sort of off topic, but it has to deal with a lot of the outside work I do involving wood - firewood, turning wood, etc. I am on my last pair of work gloves designed for winter use, and they have numerous holes in them. I will do well if they last me into the middle of the fall season, much less through another winter.

Bill

You can try here Bill.
We wear a lot of gloves up here in the oil patch Maybe that's why the big selection.
Cheers
Bob

http://www.bobdalegloves.com/catalog/catalog.php?action=list_records&prodbrand=all&prodcat=20&records_per_page=10&sortfield=prodstyle&sorttype=ASC&thumbs=yes&page_num=12

Jim Becker
09-07-2006, 4:12 PM
I see Wes beat me to it...Duluth Trading. Excellent source for all kinds of "work gear and apparel". In fact, I wear the long-tail pocket tees nearly every day I'm not in front of customers with the "real job". They have "a lot" of glove choices available....

Bill Antonacchio
09-07-2006, 5:07 PM
Hi Bill,

Here is what I use due to arthritis in my hands.

http://www.bionicgloves.com/gloves/heavy/

They are very good and the XXL size fits me pretty good too! Click on the SIZING link for measuring and sizes.

Made by Hillerich and Bradsby Co. the Louisville Slugger bat company.

Regards,
Bill Antonacchio

Tyler Howell
09-07-2006, 7:50 PM
Duluth (In Minnesota ) Trading of course. Good stuff:cool:

Chuck Saunders
09-07-2006, 8:02 PM
Might try Gemplers

Charles McKinley
09-07-2006, 9:54 PM
Hi Bill,

Go to the friendly welding supply store that hopefully you found when you took your welding class. They should have a nice pair of pig skins for you uninsulated and a selection of insulated gloves too.

Steven Wilson
09-08-2006, 2:36 AM
Beside Gemplers and an Oil Drilling supply company why not look at Lee Valley.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-08-2006, 3:15 AM
Motorcycle shops will sometimes have REALLY good winter leather gloves, and they usually have BIG sizes too.

If you can find them, the best leather gloves, IMHO are made from either Deer or Kangaroo.

Good luck!

Chuck Wintle
09-08-2006, 6:27 AM
Lee Valley carry a wide selection of gloves. :)

Keith Starosta
09-08-2006, 7:24 AM
I'll just go ahead and throw my .02 in for Duluth Trading Co., as well. With the wiiiiiide variety of sizes they have for most of their clothing, I'd think the line of gloves would work for you, Bill.

- Keith

harry strasil
09-08-2006, 7:51 AM
Try a welding supplier for work gloves. I have large hands too, I wear extra large. McMaster Carr has a good selection I think. My wrists used to be 14 inches around back when I was doing plow work, about 9 inches now in my old age. Used to have a 65 inch chest and a 28 inch waist till I got furniture disease and my chest fell into my drawers.

tod evans
09-08-2006, 9:09 AM
bill, most harley dealers have high quality leather gloves in the requisite black in both light weight and good heavy winter weight too...02 tod

Bill Grumbine
09-08-2006, 9:10 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys! I have ordered some gloves from Duluth Trading, but I am saving this thread with all the suggestions for future reference.

Harry, I used to be built a little like you, but my chest is falling into my drawers too! I have Dunlap's Disease. My belly done lapped over my belt! :D

Bill

Frank Fusco
09-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys. For those who have not met me, it is a little hard to describe myself. I'm not unusually tall - 6' 2", and even that is if I stretch, since I seem to be getting shorter now. Last time I checked I tipped the scale at 400 lbs. People ask me who I played pro football for.

I wear a size 8 hat most of the time, 7 7/8 the rest of the time. Boot size varies, but 15 is the norm. Gloves? Large won't even come close to getting onto my hand most of the time. Even the XL ones I have found on rare occasion are hard to fit.

Yeah Frank, I go to Walmart too, and their gloves don't fit me either.

Two off-beat ideas. Save your old worn out gloves and find a leather worker to use those as a pattern and make you some. Or write a company like White Mule and offer to do advertising in exchange for a lifetime supply of gloves made just for you. There must be a speciality supplier somewhere out there, lotsa big guys around. Good luck.

Mike Cutler
09-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Bill.

Because you are indicating that your hands are hugomungous. You may want to look at a pair of "Keepers" for an electrical lineman's gloves, ours are made by a company called Norton. These gloves are designed to go over a thick rubber glove to protect the insulative properties of the rubber.

They can be had in a regular glove size, just above the wrist, and they also can extend past the elbow. They are generally more pliable right out of the box than normal rubber gloves. Thicker than TIG gloves, but not as thick as the cheap full grain cowhide gloves.

Road Hustler is a brand of surprisingly inexpensive gloves that are fairly nice brand new. I have long skinny guitar player hands, or I'd send ya' a few pairs. No way mine would fit you though. Sorry.

I have to wear gloves for the day job, pliability and maintaning some form of dexterity with them on are important attributes for me.

Roger Bell
09-08-2006, 8:51 PM
For much of my life, I have performed arduous work in demanding conditions and have formed what I feel is a cultivated opinion on gloves, boots and outerwear. For real work I have found that either horsehide or pigskin is the best leather. For comfort, its hard to beat deer or elkskin, but these leathers I think lack the toughness to endure the rough stuff for long. You can get horsehide from Gempler's in a wide size range. I have never ever cared much for ordinary cowhide. It lacks comfort and it lacks toughness.

For around the house light duty stuff, I have come to prefer the cotton/latex-dipped gloves rather than plain cotton. Very pliable, excellent to superb gripping qualities, dexterity isnt bad, cool wearing and machine washable. Also quite cheap and durable enough for the money. We have about a dozen pair we use for gardening and yardwork and they get frequent washings. These are also good for wet, muddy conditions, when any leather glove leaves a bit to be desired. Duluth has them, as does most gardening stores.

Although I am always a sucker in my search for something better, I have concluded that I dont much care for anything "high-tech" for work....other than those designed to mitigate specific problems, such as for vibration reduction, for extreme cold or underwater use, or for use around fire.

harry strasil
09-08-2006, 9:03 PM
In the Blacksmith shop for forging and general welding and cutting I prefer the mule hide gloves with no cotton back, all leather.

09-09-2006, 12:58 AM
Roger, have you ever tried Kangaroo?

I'd not tried them before, but a buddy from Oz gave me a pair, and they are really good, IMHO. Don't know about availability.

Cheers!

Roger Bell
09-09-2006, 11:02 AM
No, but it sounds like maybe I should.....if you encounter a source, let me know.

09-09-2006, 12:05 PM
David Morgan has them, but they seem to be a little more pricey than I'd want to pay, and for light work only........

www.davidmorgan.com

I know about it, as the top ranked motorcycle races all have their racing leathers made from Kangaroo, it is have as thick and three times as strong, and much more abrasive proof than normal leathers.

Cheers!

John W. Willis
09-09-2006, 6:53 PM
I recently found XXL leather gloves at Sam's club.

Gary Herrmann
09-11-2006, 1:10 AM
Another vote for Duluth. 6'7", about 230 or so. Reasonably big hands, I guess XL +. I guess they match my 14s.

Bill Grumbine
09-11-2006, 9:19 AM
Thanks everyone, for the continued responses! I had no idea that there were as many sources as there are around. I guess you just have to look (or post here!). I've tried welding gloves in the past, and have a pair that just fit on, but I have not looked at the welding supply for anything lately. That is a possibility.

But like I wrote earlier on, I have some coming from Duluth Trading, and they should be here by the end of the week.

Bill

Charlie Knauer
09-11-2006, 8:57 PM
Bill, the disease that many of us suffer from is not Dunlap disease. It is called furniture disease. Thats when our chest falls into our drawers.

Ben Grunow
09-11-2006, 9:40 PM
Whatever gloves you get (if they are uninsulated leather) be sure to soak them good and wear them for a day of hard work like tree work or fencing. That wears them in quick so they fit your hand just right.