PDA

View Full Version : Two for two hitting deadlines! (pics)

Matt Wachter
09-07-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm two for two on my projects lately. I've only got pictures of 1 of them though. Everybody has seen a cutting board so I won't bother you with those. But here are the pictures of a couple of boxes that I completed for my MIL and SIL. My wife is going to New York for the weekend so they can spend the weekend together for their birthdays. She asked me Monday night if I could get something done in time for her to leave. Woods are Luan for the box, maple, purpleheart pinstripes, walnut, and I don't know what the orange is, so if you know, please tell me. Finish is shellac, thined to a 2 lb cut and sprayed with the HF HVLP system. Enough with words, here are the pictures...:)

Dan Oliphant
09-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Nice looking project Matt. Materials used match very well.

Brian Blackburn
09-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Hey Matt , nice work! I like the contrasting woods/colors.

Julio Navarro
09-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Beautiful work.

If I may ask, why did you go with box joints and not dovetails?

Just out of curiosity. I think the box joints look great but I would be interested in your reason.

Jim Becker
09-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Very nice work, Matt.

Matt Wachter
09-07-2006, 12:01 PM
=
Beautiful work.

If I may ask, why did you go with box joints and not dovetails?

Just out of curiosity. I think the box joints look great but I would be interested in your reason.

Well, I've never done dovetails by hand before, and being a time senstivite project, didn't want to start with this one. I also don't have the support tools necessary for something like that, such as a decent dovetail saw, or sharp chisels.:mad: I didn't want to do miters because I don't like the end grain glue joint and I haven't made a spline joint jig for my router yet.