PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat and Intro

Frank Kobilsek
09-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Its been a week since I found Sawmill Creek on the recomendation of Keith Burns. This is a freindly site! I already have a part I need for a project coming from a fellow Creeker.

The first thing you notice is everybody knows everybody so I want to gloat about this weeks wood find and intro myself

The Gloat: About the Fourth of July a co-worker who heats a garage and part of his house with wood got a load of big Silver Maple logs from local strom damage. I had just bought a used Woodcut Coring system on-line and this sounded like great wood to practice on. It turned out to be very nice Curley Maple. This Tuesday I went back for more, and found that most of the pile had a nice spalt to it now. The pict of the pile (large pieces are 20 x 20 x 10") is most of this weeks take and the Hollowform shows the how nice the figure of the maple is.

Intro: I started turning Thanksgiving of 2003 on a Jet Mini. I had been carving canes and wanted to make the staffs fancier. Haven't carved a cane since. I turn everything from pens to platters but my two most popular items are Bottlestoppers and Rosary Boxes. Just starting to play with hollowforms. Still have the mini but turn on a Jet 1642 now and lust for a Powermatic. My wife (of 20 years) is a private school principle and God did not bless us with childern so I have both time and more discressionary cash than my freinds for hobbies. I have been to Provo for the Utah 5 course at Crafts Supply, AAW Symposium 06, several demos at hardwood suppliers, I got Best of Show at our County Fair in 2005 with a segmented bottom bowl, second place in the AAW layered bowl contest this past spring, and was juried into a little gallery this past January. Regional paper did their Saturday Extra Story (translation: nut with obsesive hobby) this summer and my Dad & I do a couple craft shows each year (He does hobby horses and kids toys). I enjoy carving & inlaying into pieces of all types. All this said still a beginer. In a good week I turn 30 hours and some weeks real life keeps me out of the shop all together.

The last pict is some other recent work setting on the corner of the deck.

Thanks for welcoming me and I look forward to learning from each of you.

Frank

Don Baer
09-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Frank,
Welcome to the creek and I guess you already know about the picture, very nice work.

Keith Burns
09-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Great intro Frank and I am glad you posted some pics. Otherwise the Photo Police would have nailed you:D . I certainly enjoyed meeting you in Atlanta and look forward to seeing more of your work here. Like I said this is a great place:) :) Oh yeah, you nailed the form on the HF.

Tyler Howell
09-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Welcome Frank Nice stuff!!:cool:

Cecil Arnold
09-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Very nice work Frank. I lust for that log pile.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Welcome to the Creek Frank! Back in the late 60's I helped drill a few gas storage wells around Mendota. Nice haul on the wood! Nice work on the projects.

Jim Becker
09-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Welcome, Frank...and I really like that hollow vessel! Nice!

Ted Calver
09-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Welcome aboard Frank! Nice pieces from some nice wood!

Bernie Weishapl
09-07-2006, 1:52 PM
Welcome to Creek Frank. If only I was that lucky to find wood like that. Love the hollow form.

Jerry Olexa
09-07-2006, 2:14 PM
Welcome...Nice wood and nice work!!!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-07-2006, 3:22 PM
Welcome Frank, and nice pics, nice work, and nice gloat!

The only thing is, if you are a beginner, then what am I...? :eek:

What is below beginner...? ;) :D

Cheers!

Frank Kobilsek
09-07-2006, 5:20 PM
Thanks to all for the comments.

Stu in Japan: Key to success humility. I'm no expert and what does intermediate really mean anyway.

Ken: my Mom was a Fitzgerald, we're probably 101st cousins. The maple came from a farm right over those wells.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Frank

PS: I hadn't heard about the Picture police so I guess I just got lucky there.

Terry Quiram
09-07-2006, 6:02 PM
Frank

Nice first post. That Maple is awesome and your hollow sets it off very well.

Terry

tod evans
09-07-2006, 6:30 PM
welcome frank!

Ernie Nyvall
09-07-2006, 6:31 PM
Welcome to the Creek Frank. You've done some very nice work. That HF is great and the wood is really special. Nice find.

Frank Guerin
09-07-2006, 6:52 PM
Welcome to the creek. Franks are always welcome.

John Hart
09-07-2006, 7:53 PM
Welcome Frank!! Very nice work all around. Great post. :)

Barry Stratton
09-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Welcome to the Creek. Really impressive work and a great wood gloat.

So you know Keith........Me thinks we have to keep an eye on you.....:D

Corey Hallagan
09-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Welcome to SMC. Very nice work!

corey

Mike Ramsey
09-08-2006, 9:22 AM
Welcome to the Creek Frank! Some very nice turnings there!

Travis Stinson
09-08-2006, 4:24 PM
Welcome aboard Frank. So, you've met Keith huh? Trust me, we're not all that bad.:p :D

Frank Kobilsek
09-08-2006, 4:56 PM
Sorry buddy I didn't know referencing who told me about SMC was going to get you the in hot water and instant double secret probabtion place on my membership here.

One of Keith's co-workers and I serve on some industry committees and he has been trying to get the two of us together for at least a year. So it's his fault.

Everybody have a great weekend!

Frank