PDA

View Full Version : Old tool ID, maybe a wood-working tool?

Jeane Hanson
09-07-2006, 9:30 AM
Posted this in OTWA yesterday and was referred here, hoping somebody will recognize this old tool. I thought it was used in woodworking, perhaps not. It is about 8½" wide, with the center section about 7", blade is (or was, now rusted) adjustable, with teeth spaced about 5/8" apart. There are no brand markings, but one end has the letters M B. I think it looks like it could be used for scoring grooves in a plank. I'm interested in knowing if that is accurate, and what the name of the tool is. Thanks so much!

harry strasil
09-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Jeane, its a Clapboard Marker sometimes called a Siding Marker, Weatherboard Marker. Its the modern version of a craftsman made tool called a Preacher.

It is used to make a mark for cutting siding or clapboard to length by placing the long tabs against a corner board and moving it just a little which makes a continuous cut mark on the siding board.

harry strasil
09-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Below are the tools of a clapboard sider;

top - clapboard gauge
middle - clapboard marker
bottom - clapboard gauge

right center - a brad awl for making nail holes in the thin fragile top edges and ends of cedar clapboards.

far right - craftsman made Preacher

Saw and Nail hammer not shown.

Jeane Hanson
09-07-2006, 2:32 PM
Super response, Harry.....a speedy answer to my question and lots of bonus information.....it doesn't get any better than that.
Thanks so much!!!

Wiktor Kuc
09-07-2006, 5:20 PM
Harry,

can you explain how Preacher works? Maybe photo or 2?

harry strasil
09-07-2006, 6:03 PM
You hold the clapboard in place and slide Preacher down over the board and hold it against the corner board, then scribe a line with a knife or pencil to make a cut to length mark. All it does is transfer the edge to the outside so you can mark it.

Ben Grunow
09-07-2006, 9:29 PM
Never seen a factory made marker Harry, we make em out of a piece of plywood. THat one reminds me of my aunt Regina's dentures. Thanks for the education.