PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best lathe for under 500

Sean Yennie
09-07-2006, 6:33 AM
Hey guys im looking to purchase a new lathe. I previously had a grizzly bench top lathe that i recieved as a present just died. So im on the market but just like every thing else there are too many to choose from. I want at least a 3/4 hp or even 1 hp because I make a lot of bowls and my old lathe was a 1/2 hp and wasent strong enough. Thanks for the imput Sean.

Raymond Overman
09-07-2006, 7:50 AM
If I was looking for something under $500 and big enough to turn bowls with a 3/4 or 1 HP motor I'd be looking in the used market. You're going to be hard pressed to find something that will last with capacity for what you're talking about new I think. Jet/Rikon/Delta MIDI come to mind when you have a $500 budget.

You can get a Delta 46-715 for around $650 off of Amazon. It has a 3/4 HP motor but is a Reeves Drive speed control.

Scott Loven
09-07-2006, 9:22 AM
I got this one for $276 at a silent bid school auction. I also bid on the two RASs and got them for $76 each. The lathe is not for sale, but the RASs are!
http://www.vmtw.com/shop/Tools_from_shop.htm
Scott

Bernie Weishapl
09-07-2006, 9:45 AM
Sean I just went thru this hunting for a lathe. For under $500 you are not going to get a lathe with a 3/4 or 1 hp motor. You can get a Jet 1236 for $588 plus shipping and as Raymond said the 46-715 for $649 plus shipping. The only one I know of that has the common threads (1 x 8) for chucks, etc. is the Grizzly G0462. They say it is 2 hp and is $484 shipped. There are 3 or 4 guys I know that have this lathe and are extremely satisfied with them. Only other thing is if you can find a used one. I have found several but it didn't help me much because all of them that were worth anything was pickup only because the shipping would kill ya. Hope this helps.

Frank Fusco
09-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Grizzy G0462. Enuf said.

Jason Solodow
09-07-2006, 11:06 AM
My advice is watch Ebay.. I bought a Jet 1236 on there that was only 5 hours from me for about $220..That was two years ago, and I just replaced my bearings and belt, but otherwise it's good! But I need a new one...i'm whining at the wife for Powermatic 3520... Don't think I'm going to get it though....at least not soon..

Daniel Heine
09-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Hello,

I had the same problem. I bought a Palmgren Lathe, and I am very happy with it. It has a 1 HP motor, turns 15" inboard, and 20" outboard. Variable speed, but not electronic, adjustment is done with a dial. I hjave turned pens, bowls, bottle stoppers, etc without any incidents. It uses a Morse Taper #2, and has a headstock with 1 X 8 threading, so it has a very syandard configuaration, and add ons are easy to find. This is the exact same lathe that Sears sells as their "Craftsman 15 in. Lathe, Bench Top, Variable Speed" Palmgren makes it for them. You will need to buy or build a good, sturdy stand for it, but I do not think you will be dissapointed. I looked hard at the Jet 1236 before buying this one, and the outboard turning tool rest on the Jet scared the %&^%&out of me just by looking at it.

Happy Turning,
Dan Heine

Mike Vickery
09-07-2006, 1:25 PM
http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WC&Category_Code=USED

This is a link to a used Jet 1446 for under $500. I do not know anything about the condition you would have to contact the guy. I have dealt with him before and he is a good guy to work with.

If you are dead set on new I think the Jet 12 inch is the best you are going to do around that price range but it is still a little higher.

David Briski
09-07-2006, 2:09 PM
If you are looking at the Jet, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34706 is an exact clone and has gotten great reviews on another board. Only has 3/4hp but you can find it on sale from time to time at $199.

Mark Pruitt
09-07-2006, 2:09 PM
Sean,
If you have to stay under $500 due to budgetary concerns but are able to save more over the next year or so, I would recommend a different strategy. You can get a decent 3/4 HP lathe from Harbor Freight for $190 when it's on sale. Model 34706. That is the lathe I own, and it is a respectable machine for what it is. (By that I mean, 3/4 HP has limitations and as long as you stay within those you're OK.) My rationale behind this is, since what you are REALLY going to want is over your current limit, spend as little as possible now so you can stay in the game, and when you've saved a bit more, turn around and sell the HF and buy a 1 or 1.5 HP lathe. Just a thought FWIW.
Mark

Dick Strauss
09-08-2006, 1:27 PM
Sean,
Delta 46-715s can be had for under $500. I got mine last Christmas for $400+/- after $50 rebate. I thought it was the best lathe at its price point. It is a good intermediate lathe but not a "lifer". The 3/4 hp motor will stall during a very heavy cut. I kind of consider a slightly less powerful motor a safety deivice for beginners. The difference between a Jet mini 1/2 hp and Delta 3/4 hp is like night and day (the mini stalls very easily).

The weak link on the Delta (IMHO) is the thin stamped metal legs!

Good luck,
Dick

Reed Gray
09-08-2006, 2:30 PM
What died on your Grizzly? Bearings? Motor? It may be cheaper to rebuild/replace and add a bigger motor.
robo hippy

Frank Fusco
09-08-2006, 2:37 PM
What died on your Grizzly? Bearings? Motor? It may be cheaper to rebuild/replace and add a bigger motor.
robo hippy

Grizzly's three low-end bench top lathes are really el-cheapos. They do a disservice to Grizzly's reputation. Don't judge the rest of their lines by those toys.

Bob Noles
09-08-2006, 3:28 PM
Frank,

Here is one I have been watching and you may want to check it out.

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/25200a.html

Won't be released fo another month, but sure looks interesting and GI has a great reputation as well.

Bill White
09-08-2006, 5:55 PM
I bought the Grizz 1067Z this year as my first "real" lathe. Had a no-name spindle upon which I made some pretty nice stuff, just couldn't do bowl work.
I also bought a good bowl gouge (had the other stuff), and a Grizz 4 jaw self-centering chuck. I'm real happy with the products and the resulting turnings I've done.
Bill

Sean Yennie
09-09-2006, 6:34 AM
Grizzly's three low-end bench top lathes are really el-cheapos. They do a disservice to Grizzly's reputation. Don't judge the rest of their lines by those toys.

the belt on the lathe is like a big o ring and it is worn down very thin. also when i spin the chuck it sorta has a wobble to it so it works fine when turning like small diameter things but when i turn my bowls they wobble like crazy i thought my shop was gonna fall down the whole place was shakeing. and the bowl is only like 9 inches in dia. plus the motor is getting real hot.

Frank Fusco
09-11-2006, 9:48 AM
I bought the Grizz 1067Z this year as my first "real" lathe. Had a no-name spindle upon which I made some pretty nice stuff, just couldn't do bowl work.
I also bought a good bowl gouge (had the other stuff), and a Grizz 4 jaw self-centering chuck. I'm real happy with the products and the resulting turnings I've done.
Bill

The 1"X12 tpi weirdo spindle is a downside to this lathe. I had a machinist friend make me an adapter for the more standard 1"X8 tpi accessories. An internet search will find you ready-made ones. I do reccomend for increased versatility using this lathe. Stay away from their big three-jaw chuck. Worthless.