PDA

View Full Version : New vac in the house

Mitchell Andrus
09-06-2006, 11:12 PM
This may not be of interest to many here, but it's way cool to finally have one of these. Those who use one will know.....

It auto senses a drop and runs til it hits -21 inches. The reservoir is to keep it from cycling too often and it has a valve to relieve the pump at start-up. I held -21 to -18 (trip on) for 3 hours. Good and tight. I dumpster-dove the motor and pump, the rest cost about $150.00 (Joe Wood.....com). The 2’ x 4’ veneer bag cost another $90.00. Ouch.

Mitch

Michael McDuffie
09-07-2006, 12:37 AM
Not many laser folks have a use for a vacuum veneer press but I do recognize the pump. We have a bunch laying around in the old parts room. They were used to power suction cups for pulling down and opening bags, cartons and cases. Be aware that it will spew oil like crazy if allowed to run open or if you have a big leak.

Michael

Mitchell Andrus
09-07-2006, 9:16 AM
Yea, oily old beast. I'm going to re-work the catcher. Good thing is... not much air goes through it once you're all clamped up and stable.

Mitch

Joe Nagel
09-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Very nice build!

The same project is on my list of things to do today. I just recieved all of my parts from Joe Wood yesterday. I'm going to use mine to hold down small parts on my Shopbot once it arrives.

If I get stumped in the build I may be back here asking you questions.

Joe

Mitchell Andrus
09-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Anytime, Joe. Keep in mind, most builders use their plans as a schematic. As you look at the builds on their site, not many look exactly like the instructions. Just be sure to get the parts in the right places along the air path.

Mitch