PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Goat

Curt Fuller
09-06-2006, 10:18 PM
This is a picture of a Mountain Goat taken from Ben Lomond Peak above my house. I've seen the goats through a spotting scope from my driveway but this was the first time I've been able to see one up close.

Bill Turpin
09-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Since you had to be holding on with two hands, how did you click the camera?

Bill in WNC mountains

Ken Fitzgerald
09-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Curt.......I've only seen them a couple of times. They are unbelieveably nimble!

Bruce Page
09-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Awesome picture!
I'm with Bill, how'd you do it?

Keith Outten
09-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks Curt for the picture, we don't have any Mountain Goats here in the flatlands of Virginia and I don't think I have ever seen one in a zoo. To much oxygen down here I guess :)

Barry Stratton
09-07-2006, 5:32 PM
Very COOL picture Curt!!!!!! Looks like a young nanny based on the thin, wide spread horns and lack of a pronounced shoulder hump.

Mark Cothren
09-07-2006, 7:12 PM
Man Curt, I get dizzy just lookin' at that picture....:eek:

Were you somewhere like ON TOP OF THE WORLD when you took that picture??!!??!!

Very nice... very nice...

Frank Chaffee
09-07-2006, 7:33 PM
… but this was the first time I've been able to see one up close.
Great pic Curt,
And I wonder if the goat did not exclaim similarly!

Frank

Dennis Peacock
09-07-2006, 7:34 PM
Very nice picture Curt!!!! All I gotta say is that you must live VERY HIGH up in those mountains to get that kind of picture with the houses in the background appearing so tiny. A most excellent picture!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Frank Guerin
09-08-2006, 8:33 PM
I still can't see the stupid goat, but I'm old.

Randy Moore
09-08-2006, 10:36 PM
AH Heck, I am holding on to my chair so I don't fall off the rocks.:eek: :)

Beautiful pic:)

Mark Rios
09-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Okay, I looked at the pic but I still don't get it. Mountain Gloat??? Did you buy that part of the mountain (or the whole thing) and you are gonna build yourself a house up there? That sure is one great view though.

Curt Fuller
09-08-2006, 10:56 PM
The picture is looking down from near the peak so that makes it look like you're at the edge of the world. It's on the west (left) side of the peak. The part of the civilized world that you can see below is actually about 4 or 5 miles out from the base of the mountain. It is pretty rugged where the goats hang out but there's also a fairly tame but long trail to get there (or this old man would never make it). Here's a picture of the mountain, Ben Lomond Peak, taken from my driveway.
There are about 30 of the goats living on the mountain now. They were first transplanted about 15 years ago.

And ya Mark, it is kind of a goat gloat. It's fun having them close enough to walk for a visit.

Frank Fusco
09-10-2006, 11:21 AM
I got nosebleed just looking at it. ;) That's CLOSE? :eek: How far away were you from the goat, and what lens did you use?