PDA

View Full Version : I have an alcohol problem...

Rick Smith
09-06-2006, 8:02 PM
and am wondering if this is "typical". The wood is (I think) "ornamental cherry". Turned the rough shap and soaked in a 5-gal bucket of denatured alcohol for 2 1/2 days. Removed, dried with a paper towel, then wrapped on the outside with brown paper. This morning (2 days after wrapping) - I have these huge cracks all the way through. Is this "typical" of some fruit woods, or did I do something wrong? (I have an 8" long by 8" diam soaking now...)

John Hart
09-06-2006, 8:09 PM
It's my understanding that cherry is just plain difficult to keep from cracking...but, boiling is a way to ensure more success. Boil your roughed out bowl for 45 minutes and let it dry from there. I'm told that the boiling "sets the sugar". I have no proof however.:confused:

Rick Smith
09-06-2006, 8:20 PM
Thanks, John. I haven't tried boiling, but I did try the microwave deal on another piece. No good. Welcome back, by the way! Excellent progress on your castle!

Keith Burns
09-06-2006, 8:26 PM
I'm no expert by any means. Refer to the article in the article forum by Dennis Peacock. I don't know if the 2-1/2 days in dna bath would have any affect but 24hours is enough. Also did you cover the rim? Other than that you may have just got bit by the crack bug.

Jim King
09-06-2006, 8:32 PM
http://www.exoticwoodworld.com/index.php?c=static&sc=process

John Timberlake
09-06-2006, 9:24 PM
Don't throw it away. Just let it dry completely, fill with epoxy or inlace and then turn it. I usually only turn dry blanks so I am no expert on drying rough turned bowls.

Bill Boehme
09-06-2006, 10:16 PM
It appears that the bowl is an end-grain turning and so that alone would pose the most problematic scenario for a wood that likes to crack. If the wood happened to be from a limb rather than from the trunk, it would be even more prone to splitting. I have not tried boiling myself but I believe that it the best solution for removing bound water from the wood. However, I have been wondering what cooking does to the strength of the wood.

Bill

Wally Lloyd
09-07-2006, 8:32 AM
We have found that we lose nothing of the strength of the wood from boiling

Bernie Weishapl
09-07-2006, 10:18 AM
As John H. said cherry is a wood that has a problem with cracking along with apple. I have had good luck with the DNA bath leaving the roughed out bowl in for just 24 hrs. Question I have is that the pith in the bottom of the bowl on the first picture? If so I agree with Bill that is probably your problem.

Barbara Gill
09-07-2006, 11:33 AM
One thing that has not been mentioned is the wall thickness. If you left the walls too thick, it could cause the cracking. They should be thinner than the usual 10% for traditional drying.

Reed Gray
09-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Yes, cherry is more prone to splitting than other woods, and the ornamental cherry is worse than wild or fruit cherry. They are usually on lawns and get lots of water and fertilizer.Then, if you leave the pith in, that complicates matters more. The biggest thing is to make sure that you dry it very slow, in a cool and rather humid environment. You can do this by bagging (paper or plastic) it and leaving it in a cool place like the garage. You can burry it in shavings that are also damp, but this can cause mold and other discolorations. If you live where it is cool and damp, then you can leave it on a shelf out of any drafts. Leaving it thicker for drying and then returning puts some added stress on the wood: more wood = more stress in drying. I like to turn to final thickness (thinner walls = less drying stress), in the 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick range, and let it warp. Because the bowls are oval when dry, you almost have to use a power sander.
robo hippy

Mark Pruitt
09-07-2006, 3:27 PM
I have not tried boiling myself
..and I wouldn't recommend it either! That doggone water gets way way too HOT.:D :D :D

Sorry, Bill. I just couldn't leave that one alone.:p You have my permission to get revenge as you wish.:eek:

Mark, who has never learned how to stop playing