PDA

View Full Version : Spiders running my shop

Steve Clardy
10-08-2003, 1:01 PM
I'm really getting tired of my band of spiders taking over my shop. I can clean, and in two days these critters will have webs everywhere. Most of the webs are on the surfaces of cabinets, benches, and the floor.
Ocassionally I spray some spectricide around against the walls and floors, but doesn't last long. About 4 years ago when I had the termite guy out to spray the house, I had him to spray for spiders in the shop. It lasted about a week and these critters were right back. Anything I can do besides burn down the shop? Really getting tired of them rearranging my sawdust piles in the shop. Steve

Lee Schierer
10-08-2003, 1:19 PM
We had a problem with spiders in our basement. The ceiling was starting to look like a scene out of a cheap huanted house movie. We found some insecticide that was in a can. You ignited the contents and left the room sealed up for a couple of days. No more spiders for a couple of years. Here is what we used: Spider Eliminator (http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-review-5BDC-AFA8B59-39D9804F-prod5)

Dennis Peacock
10-08-2003, 3:06 PM
I'm really getting tired of my band of spiders taking over my shop. I can clean, and in two days these critters will have webs everywhere. Most of the webs are on the surfaces of cabinets, benches, and the floor.
Ocassionally I spray some spectricide around against the walls and floors, but doesn't last long. About 4 years ago when I had the termite guy out to spray the house, I had him to spray for spiders in the shop. It lasted about a week and these critters were right back. Anything I can do besides burn down the shop? Really getting tired of them rearranging my sawdust piles in the shop. Steve

Well Steve....that makes two of us.....Every single day my shop looks like the spiders opened up a new circus every night and had a real party in there. I really need to do something. Seems like I have about 30,000 spiders in my shop now......

Steve Clardy
10-08-2003, 5:07 PM
Well Steve....that makes two of us.....Every single day my shop looks like the spiders opened up a new circus every night and had a real party in there. I really need to do something. Seems like I have about 30,000 spiders in my shop now......

Know what you mean Dennis. Guess it's this country living? Ha.
Just got back from the hardware store where I picked up 9 cans of bug fogger. If that don't work I'll try what Lee suggested.
Part of my problem is that I have a huge bug zapper hanging in the ceiling that will fry wasps and mud dobbers. With them mostly gone, there isn't anything stuffing their nests with dead spiders for the next generation of wasps. The wasps like to make nests everywhere and make messes, etc. So----seems like you do one thing and it causes other problems. Steve

Steve Clardy
10-08-2003, 5:12 PM

Just got back from the hardware store where I picked up 9 cans of bug fogger. If that don't work I'll try what Lee suggested.
Part of my problem is that I have a huge bug zapper hanging in the ceiling that will fry wasps and mud dobbers. With them mostly gone, there isn't anything stuffing their nests with dead spiders for the next generation of wasps. The wasps like to make nests everywhere and make messes, etc. So----seems like you do one thing and it causes other problems. Steve

Dennis Peacock
10-08-2003, 6:07 PM

Let me know how your "foggers" work out. If it works well for you, then I know what I need to do.

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-08-2003, 6:35 PM
Steve, I may have a solution for you that my Mom and some "Old Timers" I know swear by. I am sure you have heard of "Hedge Apples", or as some other Missouri boys I know call them, "Road Apples". Either way, they are the green, round fruit from Hedge, or Osage Orange Trees. I know many folks that place these in and around their basements to control spiders and other creepy crawly's. They Hedge Balls supposedly contain a natural pesticide that discourages insects from the area in which they are placed. They will last several months. Because the Hedge Apples can ooze a milky liquid, my Mom places them on aluminum Pie Pans. I have never used them, but I do know that our basement at home had a few spiders, and when Mom started using Hedge Apples, the bugs were gone for good. She placed them in the corners, and up on the window sill and sill plate area. There is even a website that touts this as well. Here is a link for that site:
www.osagehedgeballs.com (http://www.osagehedgeballs.com)
A quick Google Search will yield a few more sites with interesting information about Hedge Apples. What the heck, give it a try, there are plenty of these Hedge Balls around, and they are FREE. Don't ask me how I know about such things, because I have NO idea! :D

John Christiansen
10-08-2003, 6:55 PM
Well Kevin, for a second, I had to wonder what type of suggestion you were about to make.

Up hear, when a person says "Road Apples", he is usually reffering to the occasional piles of combustion residue, which is, in most cases, left behind by Amish travelers.

Steve, I may have a solution for you that my Mom and some "Old Timers" I know swear by. I am sure you have heard of "Hedge Apples", or as some other Missouri boys I know call them, "Road Apples". Either way, they are the green, round fruit from Hedge, or Osage Orange Trees. I know many folks that place these in and around their basements to control spiders and other creepy crawly's. They Hedge Balls supposedly contain a natural pesticide that discourages insects from the area in which they are placed. They will last several months. Because the Hedge Apples can ooze a milky liquid, my Mom places them on aluminum Pie Pans. I have never used them, but I do know that our basement at home had a few spiders, and when Mom started using Hedge Apples, the bugs were gone for good. She placed them in the corners, and up on the window sill and sill plate area. There is even a website that touts this as well. Here is a link for that site:
www.osagehedgeballs.com (http://www.osagehedgeballs.com)
A quick Google Search will yield a few more sites with interesting information about Hedge Apples. What the heck, give it a try, there are plenty of these Hedge Balls around, and they are FREE. Don't ask me how I know about such things, because I have NO idea! :D

Brad Schafer
10-08-2003, 8:02 PM
like john, in my neck of the woods, road apple = "meadow muffin". :D

we've got the spiders, PLUS an absolute poop-load of ladybugs/asian beetle (ladybug wannabes). i mean millions of 'em. wish i knew what to do to get rid of 'em.

b (has no hedgeapples handy)

Jim Baker
10-10-2003, 8:50 PM
To control spiders, ladybugs, and all other types of bugs, we use Tempo SC Ultra (Cyfluthrin) by Bayer. It kills them dead as a hammer and lasts for a good long time.

We sprayed the garage last year and bugs are still dying. It will cost you about $35 per bottle, but will make a lot of spray. You mix it in water in a pump type sprayer then just spray on the surface wherever the bugs may be.

It works well for me. Give it a try. We sell it at the farm Co-op where I work. I would think that the Co-op or other farm supplier in your area could get it if they don't stock it already.

Rob Glynn
10-11-2003, 3:08 AM
Over here some of the spiders can do you a serious injury so we take their invasions seriously.
Cockroack bombs (misters to you, I believe) work for me, but there are a variety of products available specifically for other bugs.
Just one warning. Set them off when you don't need to go into the shop for a few days and then open it up and let air circulate for a day before you go back to work. At best the stuff will make you itch but at worst it can make you ill. Don't believe the hype about it being harmless to humans.